cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mct112233
Message 1 of 21

Email delivery errors

My emails are normally sent to a personal email address and then re-routed to my BT account.  Since yesterday these have been failing with the following error (email addresses witheld) :-

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxxxx@btinternet.com

(generated from xxxx@xxxxxxx.co.uk)

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 521 rgin08.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - no PTR record for 185.26.230.68

This looks like it is failing at the BT end.

Any ideas what the problem might be ?

M

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
MaryFS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: Email delivery errors

I am having the same issue since yesterday. Mail is coming through if sent directly to the btinternet address. I had an error message with this at the beginning.
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

****@*****.com>:
Message expired for domain ******.com. Remote host said: 451 212.82.97.72 - You have been greylisted, please try later [RCPT_TO]
0 Ratings
spackhead
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Exactly the same thing is happening to me as well

I seem to be able to send mail but anyone sending a mail to me is getting that same error message

Please help

0 Ratings
MaryFS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

And me! I got an error message saying my domain "greylisted".

I posted a reply to the first message on this forum but it is not appearing?
0 Ratings
leolyons
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

I will add my name to those with exactly the same problem as this. No emails since yesterday morning but if I send one direcectly to my base BT address it arrives fine.

There are other threads on the forum suggesting that  BT are moving to a state where they will no longer allow redirects - yeh thanks for warning us. Others claim that they (BT) use a third party for spam filtering and it may be that your domain owners mail server ip address is blocked. It may be possible to unblock this (by contacting the spam filter company CriticalPath but as they are contracted to BT not its customers they apparently have no obligation to help). This situation is known as an SPF failure.

Needless to say BT have not commented at all on any of these threads. I called the helpdesk and it was a complete waste of time with the guy insisting on setting up my imap account again within Outlook (even tho I told him there was no mail in webmail either), changing my password, wanting to take over my desktop etc.

I shudder to think what is happening to all my business mail I should have received since yesterday morning. I guess it is finally time to ditch BT mail and pay for something decent. Apparently GMail does not allow redirects either.

0 Ratings
spackhead
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I hope you are not right there leo because if what you say is true and they have just ditched redirects without telling any of us then that would be disgusting

Calling the 'helpdesk'  was a complete waste of time 

I have moved my forwarding to another service and those are coming through fine so I am not sure that my domain is blocked by Critical Path, but as from yesterday something certainly changed and has caused me several hours of unpaid time trying to remedy

When I have had to resort to the forums here normally the mods are very helpful and remedy things so I hope that happens again in this topic

Have noticed something odd with the tons of spam in last two days too, with it all arriving with some arbitary number in the title.

Wonder if this is linked to this issue and the Critical Path point you made

0 Ratings
MaryFS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

I have spent an hour on phone to BT help desk as subsequently the Yahoo team India who had failed to call back as promised this morning. They want me to delete my forwarding and reinstate it again after twelve hours. They are going to call me back tomorrow evening to see if it has worked. Refuse to allow access to laptop so they are going to give me a supervisors email address so I can forward the error message which says the host server has been grey listed . They said not aware of anybody else having the problem so I referred them here!
0 Ratings
spackhead
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

whilst looking for data on this I have located this post from a while back

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/BT-is-blocking-my-forwarded-emails/td-p/1065...

I use netnames and wondered if BT are up to their old tricks again with them

Considering this is quite an important issue and several people have posted in here asking for help it would be nice if someone monitoring this forum would check whats up soon

0 Ratings
MaryFS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

I use Easily - had this issue a few years back which was sorted - until now.
0 Ratings
leolyons
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

I have done a bit more investigation but still not sure whether it is my website host or BT at fault. Though I am beginning to think the former.
I set up a new Yahoo mail account (not BT Yahoo) and tried to redirect my mail there through the hosts adminstration panel. It still fails with the same error which is 'no PTR record' found. I also did a lookup on my domain name on the mxtoolbox site and it tells me that my domain host's mailserver is blacklisted by ivmSIP24. I am way out of my depth with this but it appears that this signifies that that mail server is a know origin of spam. If I can trust that info from MXToolbox of whom I know nothing.

I cannot contact my webhost until monday so will continue to lose all my mail until then at the earliest. Don't know what else to try at this point

0 Ratings