Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
elsanelson
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Email 'design team' has wrecked my contacts function

A software change to BT Yahoo Mail (mail.yahool.com) sometime in the last month or two has broken the mailing list function I have used since October 2017.  Every month or so I send out around 170 (two lists of 85 each) invitations to bridge fanatics in the St James private clubs.  The last time this worked properly was about two months ago when I hosted a big event at my club.  When I tried this Tuesday I was confronted with a completely new interface for maintaining contacts.  This was bad enough, but two things were just broken:

First, I found that my main contact list was displayed in random order, with no way to change the sort.  What's worse, the search function only deals with All, and the details no longer show to which mailing list the contact has been assigned.  Double the work!  But this was not the worst.  I found the show-stopper when I managed to add new contacts (see next paragraph).

Second, when I went to create the list of recipients using the checkbox dialog at the To, Cc and Bcc links in Compose, my four new contacts were not displayed!!!  The 166 old ones were still there, and if I typed in one of the address lines instead of using the list checkbox dialog the new ones did come up, but I can't do that 170 (85 in two lists) times!!!

I made two lengthy calls to 01324 452576 and they sort of promised to work on the problem, but a couple of people I spoke to made noises that they might just abandon the mailing list function.  No change yet to either problem.

My partner and I are both in our 70s and don't fancy learning or paying for Outlook or even learning Thunderbird.  I have been using BT Yahoo Mail ever since I got BT Total Broadband around 15 years ago.

If BT is listening here, consider how little difference there is between us doing all that work and just ditching BT landline and Broadband.

Elsa Nelson

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
elsanelson
Beginner
Message 2 of 17

Re: Email 'design team' has wrecked my contacts function

Just tried "Switch to Basic Mail" and no help. Even worse, the Contacts Tab doesn't have the 4 new contacts either!
Design Team must implement everywhere the contacts query used by the new window on the right in Newest BT Yahoo Mail.
0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Yes, I had a notification when I logged in something had changed but hadn't had time to look.

The contacts are not in a random order - they are alphabetical on First Name for me starting at A at the top. There is no option to sort to anything else.

If you click on the word lists, there is a dropdown underneath it which shows all your mailing lists, selecting each one shows you the contacts in the mailing lists. You cant view a contact and tell what mailing list he/she associated to.

Adding new contacts works fine to a mailing list, when you added a new contact, did you click Edit next to the Dropdown and then click Add contact? There is a + Add a new contact which adds the contact to your address book first and then clicking edit and adding adds the contact to the mailing list.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

contacts2.jpg

You can sort by surname in basic mail.

Thunderbird is a far preferable option and won't take any time at all to 'learn'.

0 Ratings
elsanelson
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

The 'All' tab is as you say, but I have over 400 of those.

If you use the List tab and select a list which has, in my case, 170 names, those are displayed in some random order.  Nightmare to maintain, as I described.

It's clear that you haven't experienced my problems because you don't do mailing lists.  Therefore you won't see my problem with contacts entered by the new window we're discussing not showing up in the checkbox dialog of the address-line links in Compose.  Actually, these new contacts entered from Newest BT Yahoo Mail don't show up _anywhere_ in Basic Mail, except if you start typing in a Compose address line, BUT that way you get no new contacts entered in Basic Mail!

My geek partner comments:  "Looks like two contact databases with synchronization problems."

Best,

Elsa

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Indeed I haven't experienced any problems because there is no way I would even consider using  a web browser for email any more than I would consider using a fork to eat soup. If you were to use the right tool for the job, all your problems would disappear.

New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

Why are you using basic mail out of interest? It’s a version meant for low bandwidth connections that can’t support all the rich html features. 

Its a good guess from your geeky partner but is wrong - it’s the rendering from a single database as opposed to sync between 2 databases. 

Yes you are right, the contacts inside the lists are not in any meaningful order but how often do you edit that list? It’s only when you have to remove contacts from that list, you need to manually scroll and find the right one - difficult yes but most lists are static. Adding new contacts to a list seem to be quite simple and work fine. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Why would you want 'all the rich HTML features',  its email for goodness sake. The basic version gets rid of all the **** and adverts.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

We are all diverse individuals. You can also ask me why have I developed a liking to Love Island...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

So why do you like that load of rubbish??

0 Ratings