Since they screwed up everything related to mailing lists, except for Basic Mail, which can still do it, sort of, for us it is rubbish. I will still use it for individual mails and contacts. Old dogs... Partner will use Thunderbird for lists, copying new contacts.
I've just discovered exactly the same problem with a regular mailing list I use - why on earth have they done this? Maybe someone can tell me what Thunderbird is - never heard of it!
Thanks for that. Still wondering why they had to make these changes to something that worked fine? Plus I'm something of an IT thickie - don't really understand what the difference is between a browser and client system!!
So I don't email that many people, sad git no mates call it what you will but, if people keep pointing us users of the web system to the likes of external tools - thunderbird etc etc - then the web version will never be fixed. Thing is the external tools are also subject to issues as well and have been for years - password fails etc etc etc. see the many reports on here as well.
So now it's affecting me in that just because my dear beloved brothers real name is James and I've known him for over 60 years as Stuart (its a long story) is a real pain in the rse now as I cannot change his name on my system to Stuart so I keep missing his emails as they now come through as James and my brain is not yet conditioned to respond to a James!.
So I thought I know i'll go over to the old version and change the identity in my contacts to Stuart - so I changed both the nickname and the first name on the only entry to Stuart and then switched back to the newer version of mail - not sure why its called new as I'm sure it been in use for over a year or more now.
I guess its what many people are calling iterative change - we knew it as agile development back in early 90's and 2000's - thing is it used to hack people in the real world off so much then and it's a daily hack off for many systems that to be honest should not really be even making it past the testing stages - assuming there are any testing schedules these days.
I'm guessing Liquorice will be in here to berate me soon but I just want to work my way and there is no reason I should not be able to without having to break out my browser extension tools to hone this cwap to what I want. (Note: I'm not sure an extension would be able to fix this issue though)
Oh well perhaps someone in the powers could tell us when the changes to the contact list will finally be working again.
It is not just me then, it seems to go to pot after every update. I cannot add a contact, assign to lists, and to me the answer is simple and fat to obvious, go back to what it was when it showed a full screen, changes and improvements are not the same!
But it has been the right tool for the job for some years - the changes have simply ruined a very useful tool for no obvious benefit to users of BT email.
A web browser has never been the right tool to collect email, they are for browsing the www. A mail client is designed for collecting mail.