cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 34

Re: Email 'design team' has wrecked my contacts function

To follow up on what licquorice has said, webmail, using a web browser to access email was only introduced to allow the ISP and email providers to sell advertising space and unfortunately many people now think this is the only way they can access their email.

This leaves them vulnerable to emails being only stored on the provider's servers. At the mercy of the provider regarding adverts being displayed. At the mercy of the provider regarding changes made to the User Interface etc.

john35
Beginner
Message 22 of 34

But you're missing my point!! Until very recently the BT email system worked fine and allowed me to very easily maintain and use a Contacts email list to keep members of a small club I run informed of events. The new Contact List system is not fit for purpose - it's badly designed and doesn't do what it sets out to do - it simply doesn't work!! I am in touch with the BT help service who have acknowledged that the system doesn't function properly - sadly not optimistic that it'll get sorted any time soon, though.

Incidently, not being especially tech minded - can you explain in simple terms (for a simpleton like me!!) why, what you call a web browser, is not suitable for this purpose. I thought an email system should do what it says on the tin ie. it should be designed to enable emailing to multiple contacts in one simple operation. What makes BT email a web browser as you describe it and what is a client system and why is it better? Any helpful advice welcome - I need it!!  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

You are also missing the point. 

If you choose to use an email client, which is a stand alone program/app designed to access your email accounts without the need to use a web browser, your email provider, in this case BT, can not make any changes what so ever to the way the email client functions.

They can not insert adverts. They can not change the look of your emails. They can not change your contacts list. They can not change your group contacts. They can not change how you format your emails. They can not lose your emails.

You can use a combination of both webmail and an email client/app and if you use a PC/Laptop and a mobile device to access your email you probably are already doing that. You are most likely using an email client/ app on your mobile device.

Here are a couple of links but you should do an Internet search to find out the differences between an email client and webmail.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-webmail-and-email

https://difference.guru/difference-between-an-email-client-and-webmail/

An email client/app might not suite everybody, although they are probably already using one on a mobile device, but as I said, you can use a combination of both methods and have the best of both worlds if you think you still need to use webmail.

0 Ratings
john35
Beginner
Message 24 of 34

Thanks for the links - I'll follow them up and try to get more informed on this matter. That said we may have to agree to disagree on some issues!! My criticism of BT is that they had a perfectly good email system with a fully functioning Contacts List mailing facility. They clearly want to continue to offer this facility because it's built into the new system - the problem is that the Contacts List function in the new system simply doesn't work ie. it's badly designed and not fit for purpose. 🙂 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 34

Again, you are missing the point. By using a web browser and an ISP designed webpage to view and manage your mail you are at their complete mercy as to how they carry out the operation of email. By using a dedicated third party client/ app your ISP can't make changes to its operation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 34

@john35 wrote:

Thanks for the links - I'll follow them up and try to get more informed on this matter. That said we may have to agree to disagree on some issues!! My criticism of BT is that they had a perfectly good email system with a fully functioning Contacts List mailing facility. They clearly want to continue to offer this facility because it's built into the new system - the problem is that the Contacts List function in the new system simply doesn't work ie. it's badly designed and not fit for purpose. 🙂 

Can you explain what exactly is the problem(s) that you are having with the contacts function.

When you do that can you also say which email system you are on.. is it BTYahoo or BTMail. If you are not sure log onto your email and look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo you are on the BTYahoo system.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 34

So where are we in my eyes, one can switch over to a number of different systems that many experienced and knowledgeable people on here  think are the best thing since sliced bread but realistically how many people are going to find it really difficult to get any support on all these varying client based systems that you can use.

Using webmail and in this case BT/Yahoo webmail does mean that I can use my daughters macbook, my sons PC, my friends iPad and my Windows7 desktop pc and I can even go into an internet cafe in timbuktu (I wouldn't recommend it though unless you know how to keep your details secure ) and access my emails as long as I can get to a web browser on all these machines.

I'm happy to bet that unless I have access to my own equipment all over the world I will not be able to read my emails when using the tools that are being pushed forward to people who may not be able to even load them never mind actually keep them running correctly when they also go wrong. They will be on my machine sat in a little office here in rainy wiltshire.

Ok so i'm no slouch when it comes to using any of these said tools - I used them for years when I was in a job with BT in fact in the guise of MS outlook, although we had a whole network team when things went wrong, but even then I found using webmail much better in my home life and cheaper at that time.

So, whilst I agree that for you guys the server connecting tools work for you all, they are not what I want and I'm sure that most coming here are happy to just have BT fix the damn Webmail thing once and for all and be done.

FIX THE DAMNED WEBMAIL CONTACTS FUNCTION PLEASE!

PS the calendar is back up and working again for a while,well it was still working earlier today. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 34

How often do you travel all over the world. How often do you not have access to your own device when you are travelling all over the world. How often do you use use your daughters macbook, your sons PC, your friends iPad and your Windows7 desktop pc and go into an internet cafe in timbuktu ?

Nobody is saying you must use an email client exclusively to the exception of using webmail.

You can use a combination of both. i,e when you do travel all over the world or when you do use your daughter's macbook etc. you can use webmail in fact you can use what ever method you want to access your emails.

Not all posts suggesting to use an email client are directed to you. If you don't want to use an email client DON'T USE ONE. It is entirely your choice just as it is up to the "experienced and knowledgeable people on here "  to suggest to others that there is a choice other than using webmail.

john35
Beginner
Message 29 of 34

With you 100% here. Why design a Contacts List function and not get it working properly - FIX IT BT. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 34

@unwina Just to clear up a few myths and misunderstandings, as gg has already said, it is not a case of either/ or when using webmail or client, both can be used as and when required. If you configure a mail client as IMAP, then all mail will be available on webmail or client at all times.  As for your mail always being available on your machine in Wiltshire if you use webmail, I can assure you it isn't. If you solely use webmail your mail is held on the BT servers and nowhere else thus you are at the mercy of BT not deleting them for you inadvertently. If you were to use a client, then yes, the mail's would be stored on your machine as well as the servers and would be backed up with your regular backup regime.