cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 141

Re: Email disconnections have returned

Primary email address kicked off 3 times so far today, 12.30pm, 1.20pm, & 3pm.

HOWEVER, a secondary address has been logged in since 8.30am ( 6.5hours ago) and still connected...

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 141

Just been kicked out again. Happened every day since new thread started. Chrome browser.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 141

How to solve the logging off issue.

After a non technical analysis of this issue but just examining the actual evidence, I conclude the following:

1. I am now 100% certain this issue has nothing to do with what browser you use. Every brand mentioned on this forum displays the same behaviour.
  2. I also know that clearing 'cookies' and 'cache' is also not the root of the issue. It never 'cures' the issue but simply causes annoyance and inconvenience for customers.
  3. From personal experience, I have experienced being kicked off numerous times from my standard browser, yet being logged onto the same browser in a 'private' window with another address has seen me logged on all day with no issue.
  4. I also have experience of being logged into my standard window I've remained fine all day, whilst a 'private' window with another address has seen me kicked off.

The only conclusion that can be reached by examining actual customer evidence, is that our behaviour has nothing to do with the issue.

I suggest that whatever servers that BT are using have an inherent fault. Though it's one of those 'intermittent' faults that doesn't show up on standard plug in diagnosis.

It'll be some insignificant errant component, (the equivalent of a dry solder joint) that is causing the random logging off. Until BT work out a way of matching up what servers customers are actually using when the fault occurs (which we can PM a mod email addresses affected and actual times log off happens), it'll not be solved unless BT just swap out in total the hardware their email uses...

Message 14 of 141

On trying to access a new unread email, I just got the buffer wheel of doom. I tried a few times, same thing. So, I 'right clicked' on the browser tab to reload, and the instant I did that, it logged out.

That was not 'random', and a definitive cause & effect...

(I have often used the 'reload' function without it logging out)

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 141

@Stephen5000 wrote:

On trying to access a new unread email, I just got the buffer wheel of doom. I tried a few times, same thing. So, I 'right clicked' on the browser tab to reload, and the instant I did that, it logged out.

No problem refreshing here when viewing Inbox.  It does not log me out.

If I refresh within an open email it refreshes back to the Inbox not the open email which is closed.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 141

@gg30340wrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

No problem refreshing here when viewing Inbox.  It does not log me out.

If I refresh within an open email it refreshes back to the Inbox not the open email which is closed.

Sorry, my fault. I should have stated that it did this a couple of times, like the whole 'logging off' scenario, it's entirely random when it does it, and it isn't a solid fault,mostly it's fine but the very act of me doing it did cause it to log out...

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 141

Well here's a new one LOL Just got kicked off (7th or 8th time today) and now get this... onwards and upwards, eh? 🤣

new BT error message.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 141

The BT email system really is a basket case.

Message 19 of 141

@licquorice The BT email system is far from being a basket case. Until recently it was perfectly adequate for personal use (but I would not have used it for business).  It has fallen victim to bad analysis or bad specification or bad coding, or some combination of these and/or other factors. BT's best course of action is to roll back the system to its position six weeks ago (before the deluge of random disconnects/log-offs) and rewrite the project plan from the start. I sincerely hope there was a contingency plan in place just in case the changes they wanted to implement fouled up in a big big way (which of course they did).  

Message 20 of 141

Still getting logged out here - think it was about 3 1/2 hours this time.

A roll-back might be a good temporary solution but won't fix the underlying problem.
Enabling full logging of events on the servers, if only for a short time (yes I know that eats storage space & slows things down), could help find the actual issue. Is it tied to a certain server(s) for example, related to other processes running, system resources being over subscribed. Detailed information on why the email processes are being terminated & any error/exit codes generated would perhaps be more useful. Going forward, much more robust testing & better change control before anything being implemented on a live service. 

Personally I don't think the email service has even been close adequate since we lost the Yahoo! platform, and currently it's just more & more frustrating seeing the same issues over & over.