Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LilianR
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Email hacked

Go to solution

Hi,

I stopped using my Talk21 email a while ago but was told it couldn't be deleted (I moved to gmail).  Recently a friend told me she has received an email from the Talk21 account with a dodgy link in it.  What can I do to stop this hacking please?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Email hacked

Go to solution

If your Talk21 email account was hacked, the hackers will have harvested your contacts details and be using them.

The contacts details are now in the hands of the hackers and can be used at any time and as often as they wish. They do not need to have access to or re-hack your Talk21 account to do that.

They will now probably be spoofing the original sending email address so that it appears to be coming from you when it actually is not. If you were to hover your mouse over the senders email address which is purporting to be yours you will see where it is actually coming from. You would also be able to see the true sending address if you checked the headers of the email. 

All you can do is email all your contacts and advise them that you no longer use the Talk21 email address and should they receive any emails from it they should treat it as spam and delete it immediately

LilianR
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Many thanks, will let my contacts know.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Think of it in terms of a burglar breaking into your house and stealing your paper address book, it can't be unstolen.

LilianR
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Oooh, OK thanks. :(((
0 Ratings