Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPP2020
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Email log in expiring in session

Go to solution

I was 'upgraded' from BT Yahoo mail to the new BT email service yesterday and although I have to say the overall functionality is OK if not stellar I have a particular issue with remaining logged in. 

There was a particular reference to staying logged in for longer in the release note I received but this seems to be a myth. Despite ticking the 'remember Me' box on the login screen my credentials are lost every time I close the browser window or my machine goes to sleep. 

The issue seems to have got worse this morning and I am being logged out midway through reading emails so having to log in several times in a session. 

Is anyone else having this issue? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Email log in expiring in session

Go to solution

Are you using Windows?
Sometimes it helps to check your Windows time out settings:- sleep timeouts, screen saver timeouts, etc.
When the PC times out, then a situation arises where user has to login and restart all programs.

Try setting the time out system to the basic settings. 
There are various advisers who claim that "screen burn" is a problem (perhaps not such a serious problem on newer PC's).

But if you try this setting first and then gradually eliminate to achieve the optimum setting. You can keep BT Mail running in the background. You are not going to need email notifications with the PC powered OFF!

0 Ratings
JPP2020
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I'm using a Mac and I've already been through any setting to make sure I haven't inadvertently reset something but that's pretty unlikely anyway as the  old BTYahoo webmail service stayed logged in fine, the issue has only started since I got the new service yesterday. 

Even on windows I've never come across a setting which would actively kick a user out of a session that they are actively using i.e. just opened and email and previewed a pdf within the last few seconds so it seems it's definitely something to do with the authentication token being killed on the server. 

My suspicion would be that there is a throttle on the number of concurrent sessions the service can support in Total so when a new log in occurs it boots another user off although why and how this would ever got through any non-functional requirements review is mind boggling. 

I also notice that the selection of the "remember me" check box isn't being persisted on the log in page so it also seems likely that the cookies haven't been properly tested on Safari. 

JohnC2
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @JPP2020 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry you are having some issues with your email. Please would you let us know what browser you are using and also if you have multiple tabs or account open?

I've also sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to look into this further with you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
JPP2020
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi John 

I'm using Safari 14.0 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7. 

I do have multiple tabs open but only one with my BT email account. I am logged in to Gmail on a separate tab. 

Thanks 

Josh

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @JPP2020 thanks for that info. Have you replied back to my message as we would like to look into this further?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Everyone, this was resolved in the recent 2.18.2 webmail update.