Did you mean: 
ri98
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Email log-in problems

Go to solution

Hi All,

Some advice on my e-mail log in issues please (long post - sorry) - 

Out of the blue I received a phone call today - on answering it - it was BT Answer transferring me to a voice message that had just come in. The message claimed that BT was suspending my e-mail account because they were concerned it was no longer secure. But the email address they gave wasn't mine - I'm not sure it was even a properly formatted address. The automated voice said to go to the BT website - although again it gave a garbled address.  Not sure what was going on I simply thought don't trust it. 

Later this evening, I opened up Thunderbird and it fails to connect properly - so I thought I'd check the BT webmail - logging in like I always do. But it won't log me in - tells me the account has been secured (just like the phone call said). I decided to request a new password - following the procedure it advises to restore access. But when putting in my security details - it tells me that I have them wrong. Except I don't - I really do know them, I've put them in right, they will be the same as the ones I put in originally. The form gives me no other options but to try again. Which I do several times. I get no further.

At this point I think it is best to contact BT - but it beyond the opening hours of their repair team. The system simply disconnects my call. So I try the BT live chat. The advisors says he can arrange a temporary password. Asks for a few details - nothing particularly odd. Then I follow his instructions (throughout checking I'm on the genuine BT webpage) and fill in the same form as before - he doesn't ask for any security details for the security question form. Then I point out it still won't let me in. And then the live chat connection fails. Is this because it has gone 11pm? The button doesn't seem to exist on the webpages anymore.

So basically I would like to know how to access my e-mails. The webchat was not very reassuring. What exactly is going on? Could a mod pm me with details on how to sort this all out please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
tickhill
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Email log-in problems

Go to solution

May not be connected but this evening I have received an email from BT saying that I have been transferred from (the old) BTYahoo mail to new BT Email Service.

All the details were there and how to change settings which I did and all works perfectly.

Had to change on Desktop,  Laptop and Mobile.

BT started this about two years ago and it was a disaster.  Hopefully lessons learned and now proceeding once again.

So far however only happened on one of my two email addresses so have to await for the other to be changed from BTYahoo to BTMail

So  -  obviously things are happening with email so would advise you to pursue with BT when there help desk reopens and probably best if you can do it by phone initially.    As said above - may be different to your problem but there things going on and there may (may) be a link.

0 Ratings
ri98
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for this. It is a bit more reassuring to know that others are having issues too (even if they turn out not to be related). I'll keep an eye on this thread and try phoning BT when the phones re-open tomorrow. Thanks once again.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @ri98, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. It sounds like your email account may have been compromised and to prevent any further unauthorised access the password and security questions have been suspended. The helpdesk will be able to check if this has happened and resolve any issues if you give them a call, post back and let us know how you get on.  

ri98
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've spoken with BT on the phone and they are supposed to be sending out a letter to  start the process of sorting it - so I need to wait for that apparently. Will let you know how that goes, although I'm still not sure exactly what is supposed to have caused all this - nothing seems wrong at my end. Thanks.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi ri98, thanks for the update the letter is sent when you're unable to pass the security validation checks over the phone as we need to send a one time pin to you either via an email or text message. This is to make sure we're only discussing sensitive issues such as email passwords with the account holder.

When the letter arrives and your speaking with the helpdesk again make sure you get them to add your mobile number to your BT account information and that will prevent the need for the letter to be sent should you need to contact us in the future as we can do the validation checks via text. 

tickhill
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Good point there from Neil0 about having a mobile listed on profiles.
Not just BT even. Many Establishments, Banks being another, send out One-Time-Passcodes (OTP's) by text message and responding to them enables quick security processing.
0 Ratings
ri98
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the mobile number suggestions, that isn't particularly easy though as I live in somewhat of a mobile blackspot (impossible to get any signal on any network).

Just  a quick update - eventually BT sent me a letter with a password on which I used to get them to explain what was going on.

According the BT they tried to migrate some email accounts (including mine) and somehow along the way the details of things like the security questions didn't get moved with the rest of the account information. So I was trying to fill in the security questions and doing so correctly but they didn't have any answers to match them to. So I got them to update that information, but that couldn't be done immediately it had to be escalated to a higher team and would take a few days (they opened a complaint at the same time to get it done faster). This was all done and I had a 1571 message confirming this all was now sorted. 

But then I just tried logging into the webmail portal bit of the BT email website using all the old details and it just worked. I have now updated and tied my BTID to the email account so all that seems to work fine. The account is now supposedly unsecured so it works fine (although it seems odd that it would let me in with the old details when supposedly secured earlier too). But I still can't access my e-mails through Thunderbird (most up to date version). The settings I was using before worked perfectly well (I have been using POP3 and don't really want to change to IMAP), and I have tried the BT website ones but they don't seem to allow a connection. Can anyone let me know what the appropriate settings are ?

Thanks for everyones help and advice so far too - it is really appreciated.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
ri98
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for sending this link. It works !! I put in all the settings (they were different from the ones I was using before all of this started being a problem), double checked everything and it just worked !

Thanks to everyone who helped out with advice and suggestions. It all seems to be back to normal just like before. Thank you all once again.

0 Ratings