cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scot628
Message 1 of 9

Email missing since 23rd February

And this is why I'm moving to Sky when my contract is up in July -

Since 23rd February my BT openworld account has been awol. I can log into it from the web, and even send a message from it. Outlook just pings up the"enter password" box that is another way of saying "forget it, you ain't getting any messages". What I can't do is receive any emails to the account I've had for a decade. The cause is absolutely straightforward - on moving from the Yahoo server to the BT server they have somehow lost my account. This was explained to me after 3 days of trying to get it to work. Since then, nada. Every time I try to get some sense I get a polite call centre person reading from a script and a promise that it's been escalated to another level - to no avail. So I emailed them from my (new) gmail account and have had more of the same polite,inefectual replies - this is the last one, which was the same as the one before that, and before that.....

First I would like to apologise for the inconvenience that you have faced as you were unable to use the broadband service satisfactorily due to BT Mail Login issue.

I understand that as we are moving from BT Yahoo to BT Mail server and in this process, there are some technical issues that we are facing and we are collecting those cases and escalating to proper desk where they are working to fix this issue. As per the latest update, we will complete this migration process till the end of the spring. I have also checked your contract end date is  ****. I apologise again for all the inconvenience you have faced and I definitely believe that the issue will get sorted out.

If the issue still persists, then , I would request you to contact us so that we can detect the root cause of the issue and resolve it quickly. You can visit the following link in this regard and click the option ‘Broadband or Broadband Talk’:

And so the answer is...forget it, your email is lost and we don't really care, but in a polite uncaring way. And that's why I'm moving to Sky.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email missing since 23rd February

When you say you can't receive emails to your emil account is this on webmail or via your Outlook email client?

If it is on Outlook have you checked and if nesessary changed the setting since your account from Yahoo to BTMail

Make sure that you password is entered into both the incoming server and outgoing server.

The settings are

POP3

Server incoming and out going: mail.btinternet.com

Incoming mail server:

Email user name: (prefix of email address without @btinternet.com)

Password: Your BT email password.

Log on using clear text authentication

Out Going Server in requires Authentication (Use same as incoming mail server)

Outgoing Port : 465 SSL security

Incoming Port : 995 SSL security

IMAP

Same as above except for Incoming Port: 993 SSL security

scot628
Message 3 of 9

Hi

Its both. Outlook throws up a "enter password" error message, and I have changed the password and manually reset all the settings as you describe below.  I can log into the web portal, and my email account is there - empty. I can send an email from it as a test, and it will arrive. If I copy my openworld account into that test email, it doesn't arrive. If I send an email to my openworld account from another account, it doesn't arrive.  No emails have arrived in it since February 23rd. 

I was told that my account has gone missing during the move from Yahoo to BT servers. I was told it might take up to a week to fix - that was in February.  I assume it's lost in limbo, between the two servers. 

I appreciate the reply, but I have really gone beyond expecting BT to fix it - I almost wish they would just admit it's gone forever. As you can imagine losing an email you've used for 10 years caused me some disruption, but that seems to be relatively unimportant. Thanks though for the quick response 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Yes I can imagine loosing them can be a problem. I personally use POP3 and download my emails onto my computer where I can back them up and not have to rely on the email servers to store them.

They will be in cyber space some where and may be able to be recovered.

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to three working days for them to re-contact you.

scot628
Message 5 of 9

Well, I used Outlook which is Pop3 and worked fine until the account vanished, I only used the web portal because Outlook had stopped accessing it. Thanks for passing the message along, and I'll await what transpires.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Out of interest have you tried using @btinternet.com  instead of @btopenworld.com . They are interchangeable and it may just work.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi scot628,

That's not good at all, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll get this escalated to the email team. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
scot628
Message 8 of 9

Thanks, have contacted mods as advised. 🙂

0 Ratings
scot628
Message 9 of 9

hi, I have, didn't make a difference. I don't think there is much I haven't tried to be honest!
0 Ratings