Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
picketywitch
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Email not synching to Android

Go to solution

Today for the first time my BT email isn't synching to my Samsung tablet or my Huawei phone.  Webmail works fine on my laptop.  Any idea what's going on?  I've not changed any settings as everything has always worked fine up to now

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Email not synching to Android

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.

Because all your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

0 Ratings
picketywitch
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thank you! I do hope so as this happened to me a couple of years ago with a different phone and it only resolved itself when I got my current phone! However, as it's hapening on my tablet too, fingers crossed you're right
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

BT trying to force us to use webmail and consume the associated advertising.

In my opinion anyway.

T

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@Thompson218 wrote:

BT trying to force us to use webmail and consume the associated advertising.

In my opinion anyway.

T

If BT wanted all its customers to use webmail they could just remove the servers for IMAP/POP3 accounts and thus remove that option.

Plus if it was to force you to use webmail why does it only happen to a relatively few of BT's six million broadband customers and why can a user who has more than one BT email account only have one account affected? 

It is not a strategy, it is the servers at fault

Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Ok, maybe "force" is the wrong word, but they don't seem to be trying very hard to fix it. You say a relatively few number of customers are affected. How do you know? You can't base it purely on customers that post here.

I'm one of those that has posted about it before but it remains a problem so now I just put up with it and it resolves after a few days.  Its been a problem for me for years. Of course if I need access urgently I can always use webmail and put up with the adverts, and I'm not convinced that's not a factor in BT not prioritising the resolution.

T

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@Thompson218wrote:

Ok, maybe "force" is the wrong word, but they don't seem to be trying very hard to fix it. You say a relatively few number of customers are affected. How do you know? You can't base it purely on customers that post here.

I'm one of those that has posted about it before but it remains a problem so now I just put up with it and it resolves after a few days.  Its been a problem for me for years. Of course if I need access urgently I can always use webmail and put up with the adverts, and I'm not convinced that's not a factor in BT not prioritising the resolution.

T

I too believe that a small number of people are affected, and has been shown over the years that it affects some people at different times. New people come along saying it has just happened to them etc. For regular posters, many do see the issue time and again - I see it when checking the many accounts I have (but I don't use them, only for checking things). Not all the accounts are affected at the same time, and it clears after doing nothing - hence that advice for a long time now.

I actually expect the majority of people use webmail only, hence they are not particularly affected. Forums are not specifically a good place to gauge the amount - but as seen in the amount of complaints about the webmail GUI changing, and a lot of new people joining, this does indicate a lot use it.

I (and others) have been banging on about the issues with pop3/imap for years - but it falls on deaf ears. It's almost entirely with BTYahoo accounts. BT will not entertain looking at it. When a report comes in for a user, they should set the wheels in motion immediately to check the servers for that user account etc and see what's going on - but they don't. It's clearly a management decision or problem interfacing with Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@Thompson218 wrote:

Ok, maybe "force" is the wrong word, but they don't seem to be trying very hard to fix it. You say a relatively few number of customers are affected. How do you know? You can't base it purely on customers that post here. How do you know its not! Out of in excess of six million email addresses even 10,000 would be relatively few. 

T

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I don't know what the figures are for how many customers are affected, its you that's throwing the numbers around.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

as it mainly affects BTYahoo email and the intention was and presumably still is to move away from BTYahoo email I cannot see BT doing anything to solve the problem especially as it solves itself in couple of days by customer doing nothing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings