Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawnw81
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Email not working on Android or tablet

Go to solution

I have always used the email client on my Android phone and on my Fire tablet to check by BT emails but 2 days ago they both stopped working at the same time and keep telling me that my username/password is incorrect or POP3/IMAP is disabled.

I can log in through webmail fine it's just on my devices that it has stopped working. I am assuming BT have changed something on my email account which is preventing me from logging in via email clients, seems strange for them both to stop working at the same time!! I have tried deleting the accounts and re-adding but no joy as still comes up with the same error. I have checked all the setting from the BT page and they are all correct but still won't let me log in! It has always worked fine for years and has now all of a sudden stopped working!

I know there were issues with Yahoo users but I have never had a Yahoo account it has always been @btinternet.com. I tried speaking with an agent on Live Chat about this but they said they couldn't help.

Any advise would be great. Thank you

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
shadders
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: Email not working on Android or tablet

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for posting - i too have this issue using Thunderbird and the main btinternet e-mail account. All the others work (secondary e-mail accounts) no issue. Webmail logs in no problem.

If more people replied to threads, then it may add some weight to the issue that it is more widespread rather than jus a few.

Regards,

Shadders.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

are you a current BT broadband customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dawnw81
Beginner
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution
Yes I am a BT broadband customer, have been for over 13 years!
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Was your email account set up on your present BT Broadband account or was it set up on a previous or parents BT Broadband account.

Have you checked the email accounts status by logging on to your MyBT  > Your Products > Mail,manage?

It should be showing there and the account type should be Standard with the status should be "Active"

Dawnw81
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

It is the same email account i have had since joining BT and I use my emails everyday so it is an active account. I am having to check them using webmail at the moment which is a pain.

I have another BT email account also which I don't use very often which I set up after I got married, this one is working fine on all my devices. Just my main account email which makes me think it's some settings BT have messed with.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Can you answer the questions I have asked?

0 Ratings
Dawnw81
Beginner
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

I have answered your questions already above????????????

Yes and yes to both questions!

0 Ratings
jahall123
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Hello.  SNAP!   I have had exactly the same problem.  Overnight, I think it was Monday morning I discovered the problem,  my links in Pad and android phone stopped working. Error message on my phone is "could not connect. Verify passsword, username or client certificate for BT ".  I had a quickly answered (impressed) call to the BT helpdesk who told me it was nothing to do with htme, and I nedeed to contact Apple and  phone services.  I find it very hard to believe that two different operating systems should fail at the same time, when the common factor is BT mail service.   Finding I am not alone with this problem PLEASE can BT investigate.  Did they alter something over night?  Sunday evenings not an unusal time to make system changes??

Fearing a security breach I have tried to change my password.  Could not even do that as it does not recognise my logion details.  Although I am able to access mail through the website .  I even tried downloading the BT App, but got stuck when it did not recognise my ID and password.   Like you dawnW81 I find this all very frustrating.  I am reasonably competent at fixing IT problems , but this is beyond me.

Any one else out there suffering the same issue.  Any solutions...in simple terms please, no jargon!

shadders
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @jahall123 , @Dawnw81 ,

There is a server fault. See the message :

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Btinternet-not-syncing/td-p/2143859/page/2

It was stated on the 23rd February 2021 15:44 that it will take 4-6 hours to fix the fault. It has been 18 hours.

All the other BT email accounts work, but the main BT email account (favourite) does not work.

It is NOT your OS or application, this is a BT problem.

The extremely annoying aspect is that they tell people it is the customers problem, when in fact there has been a fault out for 18 hours and they don't check when you challenge them.

BT really ought to have a dashboard letting people know what is going on, as their employed support doesn't seem to know.

Perhaps the most ironic aspect of this, was an e-mail on 23rd Feb 2021 from the BT Email Team stating they are making changes to our e-mail. I can only read it through webmail, no where does it state "we are going to mess it up for you too". I really did check the text. Nothing about that at all.

I do believe that BT are fast becoming the paperclip helper from the MS Word help of many years ago.....

Regards,

Shadders.