Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawnw81
Beginner
Message 11 of 23

Re: Email not working on Android or tablet

Go to solution

Thank you @shadders 

Explains a lot, hopefully they will get it fixed soon!

Dawn  😀

0 Ratings
jahall123
Beginner
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks Shadders .  Very pleased to hear that it is a BT server issue;  all the problems pointed to that.  I too got an email saying they were making changes to my email account; around the time their server caused problems.

I will sit tight and do nothing in the hope that BT get the problem resolved soon.  

jahall123

0 Ratings
barry1947
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Hello all, 

I'm the originator of the thread referred to by Shadders.

So sorry you've had to join my club, but grateful not to feel so alone. The problem still persists, but hopefully the more voices added the more pressure for something to be done. Instead of some of the disgraceful BS fob-off responses some of us have received.

0 Ratings
jahall123
Beginner
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution
Thanks Barry1947. I may ring the help desk again and tell them it is definately their fault. Perhpas the Help Desk poeple can then raise it as well.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

@Dawnw81 wrote:

I have answered your questions already above????????????

Yes and yes to both questions!

You did not answer my specific questions:

I asked "Was your email account set up on your present BT Broadband account or was it set up on a previous or parents BT Broadband account" 

You replied " It is the same email account i have had since joining BT".  That does not answer if the email account was set up in the BT broadband account you now have or a previous one.

I asked "Have you checked the email accounts status by logging on to your MyBT  > Your Products > Mail,manage? It should be showing there and the account type should be Standard with the status should be "Active""

You replied " I use my emails everyday so it is an active account.". That does not answer the question about the what the status and type of email account your email account is showing in your MyBT.

While it may seem to you that you answered the questions you did not answer what was asked. The questions were specifically asked so that I could get back information from you regarding your email account because the information returned could establish what may be happening to your email account.

As it would appear that you have been furnished information that there is a server fault with a repair time of 4 to 6 hours, which seems to be a generic response and I suspect that the person told this was being fobbed off by the customer service rep, I will leave things now to see how you get on with that.  

0 Ratings
SteveMo24
Beginner
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Hi,

I am seeing the same issues and have had this issue since Saturday. Access to bt mail account is non-functional via Mail app on iOS, MacOS or Outlook on Windows 10. Repeated error message suggesting 'IMAP server doesn't support password authentication.'

No issue with accessing email via webmail therefore no issue with account or password.

This email account is used daily, is active and has always been present on this BT account.

It does appear somewhat co-incidental that last email received in the iOS Mail app was at 17:34 on the Saturday evening and then an email stating that changes have been made to the terms of service - which I would assume would be reflective of technical changes - was delivered at 02:14 on the Sunday morning but the iOS app is now no longer functional.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

@SteveMo24 wrote:

It does appear somewhat co-incidental that last email received in the iOS Mail app was at 17:34 on the Saturday evening and then an email stating that changes have been made to the terms of service - which I would assume would be reflective of technical changes - was delivered at 02:14 on the Sunday morning but the iOS app is now no longer functional.

See this thread and in particular message 4. Was this the same email you received and did you click any of the links and provide information?

Solved: Is "Accept our New Terms of Service" email a phish... - BT Community

If so I would suggest that you logon to your email account, and check that there are no forwarding email addresses added to your email account and that there are no rules that you did not set up. After doing that change your password. 

As an added precaution if you use your email address as a logon for any other type of account such as banking you should change their passwords.

SteveMo24
Beginner
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Hi,

So  the email I received had a subject of 'We've made some important changes to our terms of service' and didn't actually see the email until I logged into webmail, nor did I click on any links in the email.

However following your advice I've now changed my password, updated the account information on the iOS mail app and can now access my account - so thank you for that.

I have 2 step authentication set up and was able to log in successfully using  my old password previously, if it had been compromised I'd have expected the 2FA to prevent un-authorised access. Regardless, password has been changed and everything appears to be functioning normally now.

In the webmail client how do you check if any rules or forwarders have been set up? Nothing present in the account management page.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @SteveMo24 ,

How did you change your password ?.

I can login to BT webmail and general using the email address and password as per firefox store, and when i change the password, it states that the existing password does not match.

So, how can it be that i can login using the password, but it is not recognised as the existing password when changing it.

Regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @SteveMo24 ,

I changed the password and now the download works for Thunderbird.

It seems that the password in the POP3/IMAP access had been corrupted, and it had to be overwritten with a new password hash. 

This really should not be happening with any IT system. For a password system to be corrupted, and it keeps on happening to multiple people at different times (the forum is littered with this issue), then there must be serious operational problems.

I don't believe that the BT system is being hacked or it is malware in the BT system. Just a p!ss poor design with operational incompetence.

Regards,

Shadders.