cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Email on iPhone and iPad

Received an email a couple of days ago to say there had been suspicious activity on my account and said I had to change password.  Since doing this I have been unable to get emails on iPhone and iPad.  Have deleted accounts on both but when try to add back on it states my password and account can not be verified, however I can get onto emails from BT site with password.  BT says not their problem and must be Apple problem.  Husband is secondary email and his are working fine on iPhone/ipad.  Anyone else having same problem at moment?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email on iPhone and iPad

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 15/30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device s working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Email on iPhone and iPad

Still can’t set up emails on devices so have to log onto the MyBT app on phone and get them that way.  For last 2 days when signed into the app on phone  it took me straight to emails. Today it says I need to change my password again and won’t let me log in.  On iPad however it accepts my password and takes me straight to emails, however I can’t navigate to any other part of BT.com while signed in.  It’s all very strange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Open world email address

Hi, 

still can’t set up email on my iPhone or iPad so have to log onto BT.com and get them that way.  I noticed today that when I composed an email it gave me a drop down box to choose what email address I wanted to send from. I only have a btinternet.com address however it showed that one plus a btopenwrld.com and a yahoo address, both of which I have not set up. I emailed myself from the openworld address and it worked.  I will ring BT again tomorrow as whole saga is very strange. 

0 Ratings