cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah8
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Email on iphone

Hi. I’ve seen there are posts about trying to connect an BT email to an I phone, but didn’t see a solution. We know the password, but not a previous one as suggested. Can any one help? It’s for my mums new I phone. Her first one at age 71! Thank you!
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Email on iphone

Presumably she already has a BT email account that she can access on a computer. 

If not you will need to set one up for her.

See link how to do that.

Once you have the email set up and working on a computer you can then set it up on her iPhone.

See this

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201320

You are best to set it up manually using the following settings.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Sarah8
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it didn’t work. I’m at a complete loss now. She has a BT email that she can access on her IPad but when I try to add it into her phone it just cannot find it. This seems to be a recurring problem on BT emails.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

When you say "when I try to add it into her phone it just can not find it" what exactly is happening?

You are best to turn off any other device that is used to access the email account while doing the set up.

Try following this guide and if there are problems take a note at what stage it happens and what exactly is happening.

It is best to go through settings >mail contacts, calendars > add account… > don’t choose the ‘yahoo’  or any of the named options, tap the ‘other’ option from the bottom of the list > Add Mail Account and enter the following details:

1. Name – it can be anything you want, but usually your real name is preferable
  2. Address – your full BT Internet email address
  3. Password – your email account password
  4. Description – this can be used if you have more than one email account on the device but put something like ‘work’ or ‘personal", or ‘BT Internet
  5. Press “Next” and allow the verification (this may take a few minutes)

On the next screen it will want you to input incoming and outgoing mail server details:

1. Tap IMAP or POP3. IMAP may be best if she uses the email on more than one device.

Incoming mail server settings:

• Host name: mail.btinternet.com
  • Username: your full BT Internet email address
  • Password: your email account password

Outgoing mail server settings:

• Host name: mail.btinternet.com
  • Username: your full BT Internet email address
  • Password: your email account password
  1. Press ‘next’
  2. Slide the notes and mail to be ‘on’ and press ‘save’ in the top-right
  3. Check your email on the device and see if it is working. Try sending yourself a message and see if it arrives. If messages are not able to send do the following:

Additional setting changes

1. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > tap your BT email account > a window will appear, tap on your email address > scroll down to the bottom of the window and tap where it says ‘SMTP’ > tap the primary server (which should be mail.btinternet.com) >make sure the following is on or enabled:
    1. ‘Use SSL’ should be ‘ON’
    2. Authentication should be ‘password’
    3. Server port should be ‘465’
    4. Press ‘done’ in the top-right
  2. Now do back to your emails and see if you can send
0 Ratings
Sarah8
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I think I’ve tried all that... but I didn’t switch off her iPad, and maybe I was too impatient at the verification stage! Unfortunately i don’t live near my mum and not sure I can talk her through each stage, but I’ll have a go! Thanks again, do really appreciate your help.
0 Ratings