cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanF8
Message 1 of 7

Email on wifi abroad

Bt email not working on WiFi abroad on iPad and iPhone. Gmail works fine! Message is that the bt server doesn’t respond? Web mail works and it works on 3G. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Email on wifi abroad

@SeanF8wrote:

Bt email not working on WiFi abroad on iPad and iPhone. Gmail works fine! Message is that the bt server doesn’t respond? Web mail works and it works on 3G. 

Hi.

This problem has been reported a few times over the years, some of the blame has been put upon the local ISP to which you're connected who may be blocking various ports/servers due to them not being in the same country.

The only common factor is the fact that the user is abroad, whether the fault is BT or the other end isn't at all clear.

What ports have you got set for smtp / pop or imap? (Please don't change any).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Its certainly not a generic problem as I have never had a problem with email via wifi abroad in many countries using both Android and iPhones. Given the problem doesn't appear to be widespread (or there would be more posts than there are about it), I suspect the problem is either the local ISP directly blocking access or BT blocking access to connections from that particular ISP.

0 Ratings
SeanF8
Message 4 of 7

Gmail works fine.

Bt used to work but alas no more

Have tried on a couple of WiFi’s and get the same message that btbserver is not responding.

Mail.btinternet.com is not responding.

I do think it a bt issue.

0 Ratings
SeanF8
Message 5 of 7

SMTP is mail.btinternet.com

serverbport 993

imap path prefix / 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I often get that message when I try to get my btinternet mail - and I am in uk.  This is a problem which has been posted before with bt mail but action is dead slow to non existent 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I have had this issue with apples icloud email in the past and ios native email app, easy solution is use gmail app and set it up to collect all your other emails such as btinternet, outlook etc etc.

Bottom line is you will never get it resolved as it seems to work for me most of the time abroad which suggests its not a BT (or icloud) issue per say but an issue between BT and the ISP your connected to at the time.

0 Ratings