Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah205
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Email password has been changed.

Go to solution

Unable to log into email client on Android phone, as asking to sign in again because password has changed, which it hasn't as I can access emails through web browser. Can anyone help?  I've tried removing account and restarting phone. The message keeps coming back each time it tries to sync mail. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email password has been changed.

Go to solution

@Sarah205wrote:

Unable to log into email client on Android phone, as asking to sign in again because password has changed, which it hasn't as I can access emails through web browser. Can anyone help?  I've tried removing account and restarting phone. The message keeps coming back each time it tries to sync mail. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Does the message actually say the password has changed, or simply it doesn't recognise it? I suspect the latter as this is a very common fault.

In webmail via the browser, do you see a Yahoo image top left?

The forum advice for a number of months/years now is to do nothing. No password change, no settings changes or removal of accounts/apps/clients and reinstall. Since webmail works, the password is fine - hence the advice to do nothing.

The other thing to do is to stop all devices from auto-checking for emails, and try manual access say once every hour, but not to keep trying.

The fault usually clears itself after a few hours to a few days.

If the issue persists after say 3 days, then a password change can kick start sync via app/client into action. In that case change password, wait at least 20 minutes. Then try one device at a time.

0 Ratings
Sarah205
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, 

The message says: sign in again. Your password has been changed. Enter your new password for the account below. 

When I enter password, which I've not changed, the message appears again within a few seconds. 

When logging into web mail, there is no sign of Yahoo displayed. I'll try disabling the sync and see if that works. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Ignore the message, I am encountering something similar.

You shouldn't try and change your password that isn't the issue.

The problem is at the BT end and has been going on for years.

It will correct itself normally within 24 hours, you should be able to access your mail via the Web in the meantime.

Allan

0 Ratings
Sarah205
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. This usually on the BTYahoo email system and not with the BTMail system.

The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.

Because your devices stopped accessing your email and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email account or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

However because you have deleted and reset up your email on your device I would suggest if your device doesn't start working within 24 hours that you do the following:

Switch off your device or at the least stop it from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password.

Wait at least an hour before starting your device and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device working before moving onto the next device if you have one.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Sarah205
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your advice. I will try your suggestions and hope this resolves the issue. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

After a period of about 12 hours or so I can again access my emails via my mobile and also my email client, this is without any need to chnage the password.

0 Ratings
Sarah205
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

After deleting my email account from all devices, leaving them switched off for a couple of hours and changing my password through webmail the problem has been resolved. 

0 Ratings