Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Email password issues

Go to solution

Since yesterday lunchtime I've been getting messages on my mobile saying my password has been changed, when I know that it hasn't. At that point I was still getting emails through, just the annoying beep and message each time I tried to access them. In the evening I tried webchat - no success, didn't really get what I was trying to ask, so gave me the phone number for the email help team. I called and spent an hour on the phone with them.  Very helpful but unable to sort out the issue. As I was worried it was a security issue, they suggested I change my password for all the affected email accounts, which I did.  Since then no emails have come through at all!  They then suggested it was a Samsung issue, so I spent half an hour on with them.  All that proved is that it clearly is a BT issue - I checked my Kindle and I'm having exactly the same issue.  I've tried using both my old password and my new one, but no luck.  Now getting messages saying 'Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server'.  However, I can still access my emails using the BT.com web browser. 

I just want to be able to auto view emails on my phone and Kindle like I could until all this started.  Can anyone help, or do I need to grit my teeth and call BT again :((

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email client says my password has been changed

Go to solution

Hi.  I posted a similar issue two days ago but have had no response from anyone - posted by GillB 07/08 10h53. 

I was advised by the BT email team to change my email passwords but that hasn't worked and I've not been able to access my email unless I use the BT web address.  This is incredibly frustrating, and given the above post and other similar ones I've seen, its obviously a BT issue - I keep getting messages about the BT server.  I know its not a problem with my phone (which is what BT suggested) as its affected my husband's email also, and its the same on my Kindle.  PLEASE can someone help, its driving me crazy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, as you have now found out.

Because all your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

Because you have changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 30 minutes to an hour before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device s working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi. Many thanks for this - a couple of hours later and everything is back up and running (after a hiccup with my secondary email - had to reinput it a couple of times before it was recognised).

If it happens again at least I know what to do, unlike BT it seems, who insisted all along that I needed to change my passwords and then tried to blame Samsung when it still didn't work!!

Thank heavens for this forum :))

0 Ratings