cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Email password

Go to solution

Tried to set up my first email account with BT and i'm being told that my 35 character password is too weak? Email has been generated by password manager so thought it would be strong enough.

Do i have to use my BTID password or am i doing something else wrong

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Email password

Go to solution

If memory serves me correctly the maximum number of characters  is 32 and the minimum is 6. The password should have a mixture of Upper and lower case letters and numbers. Again from memory you can not use special characters although that may have changed.

See link

How to create strong passwords and keep them secure | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I tried it with 15 characters long first and it stated I had a weak password. I kept increasing the length of the password until I got to 35 and it was still weak when I gave up.

The password gererator was using a mix of small and uppercase characters and numbers. I did try special characters and pass phrases with no success either - looks like BT don't want me to have email.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Even although it states your password is weak does it let you create the email account?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Unfortunately not as it won't let me repeat the password.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I have just set one up with eight characters without any problem even although it said the password was weak. Can you try with eight and see what happens. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi,

Something going on. If i input a simple password with the keyboard it accepts it and lets me do the repeat password even though it's weak. If I copy paste a generated password of 8 characters it won't let me continue.

I like the idea of password generated so i will try it long hand and write it down first then type it in.

It would help if it just didn't accept the pasted password like Outlook.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully i can use this password and email to send my plusnet email that i'm having issues with.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Looks like it's all down to not liking copy paste.

I now have an 18 long generated password that worked fine by doing everything longhand.

This does also allow me to send from my plusnet/domain email so happy at the minute.

0 Ratings