Message 11 of 45

Re: Email passwords being generated

Yes, it looks to be the same address.

0 Ratings
Frogmodem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 45

This issue is happening to my main and sub accounts.  The password is entered and then when I press Log In a string of dots is added to the passwords.  But the mailbox does then open.  I see that the address bar changes to 'SecureAuth...' or something similar when this happens.  I have a feeling that it is something to do with Yahoo and their efforts to protect passwords, but is a bit disconcerting.

0 Ratings
pgbirtwistle
Beginner
Message 13 of 45

Yep that's exactly the one, glad it's not just me!

0 Ratings
Pamelacf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 45

I have spoken to BT about this - they say it is a device problem and nothing to do with them.  The issue has to be taken up with the provider of your operating system software.

A couple of years ago, I had a problem with email - not this problem but another - and I chatted to both BT and MS techs, neither of whom could solve the problem and both blamed the other's software.

This leaves me as 'piggy in the middle' and the problem is still not resolved.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 45

Probably no need to panic

The latest, and only recently released, version of Microsoft Edge is now built on Chromium, the same platform as Google Chrome. Take a look at your Edge icon, has it changed? if so you are using the new version. Also the new Edge looks significantly different from the old version so you should be able to tell the difference quite easily

The chances then are that the new Edge has imported all your data from Google Chrome and is using it with the intention of performing a seamless transition, not only from the old Edge to the new but also from Google Chrome to Edge.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 45

Same thing happens with Firefox. Its not actually a problem as long as you don't click 'update password'. Before clicking the 'Sign in' box, the saved password is still displayed, once the 'Sign in' box is clicked the extra characters appear but the login proceeds as normal.

Also the same with Opera browser

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 45

@Pamelacf wrote:

I have spoken to BT about this - they say it is a device problem and nothing to do with them.  The issue has to be taken up with the provider of your operating system software.

In my opinion it's a BT problem.

pgbirtwistle
Beginner
Message 18 of 45

I agree, otherwise surely it would happen with other sites.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 45

I don't think it is a browser or device problem so BT need to get their act together and advise Customer Service to stop trying to shift blame unless of course they know better and can tell customers categorically why it is browser/device problem and how to resolve it. 

I suspected the log on page is generating additional characters to fool any shoulder surfers or hacking attempts and the additional charterers should be dropped and log in allowed when the "system" had worked out that the genuine password was included amongst the characters.

It would appear that it ain't working as expected.

If it is a security issue I also doubt we will be told that it is and what the problem is.

The only plus side is at least it is preventing log on rather than allowing any password to be used which would be a hackers dream.

0 Ratings
Pamelacf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 45

I would have thought it was a BT problem too, but it is difficult to get the  techs to do anything when they are adament it is not.

I have now moved on to Firefox, and it seems to be working for the moment - but then again, when I changed from Edge to Chrome, that worked for 24 hours.

0 Ratings