Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgbirtwistle
Beginner
Message 2 of 45

Email passwords being generated

Hi All,

Are there now two levels of passwords to get into email?  Every time I log into my email from the BT page with my BT password the page jumps a bit and then my browser asks if I want to update my password.  The password shown is a long set of approx 15 numbers with the odd lower case letter.  It's not the same password each time.

Is it something to do with BT now using Yahoo and it's logging into Yahoo?

Cheers,

Peter

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
silversmith01
Beginner
Message 1 of 45

Arcot Authentication Adapter Controller

The subject has started to appear on most occasions in our history when we log in to BT Yahoo mail and seems to generate another (much longer) password.  It is not on our computer, is it some process which BT now uses?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 45

Re: Email passwords being generated

As you are using Google Chrome, its quite possible that its suggesting an alternative password. You should be able to ignore the suggestion, and select your correct password from the dropdown list. It will show up as a row of stars.

Do not use the suggested one, otherwise you will not be able to log in, and could end up by locking yourself out of email.

Google Chrome will often suggest a password.  It usually generates a complex password.

Carlusha
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 45

Further, if you are using Chrome, you should try another Browser just to check your memory is functioning as you would expect!

Suggest, if you have Windows 10, using Edge. Is it really quite a good browser.

0 Ratings
Pamelacf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 45

I am having the same problem.  When this first started, I posted a question here and, as I was using Edge, the suggestion was made to change to Chrome.  I did so, and the situation was OK for a couple of days - ie I could access my email without a problem using Chrome, but random numbers were added to my password on Edge.

However, yesterday, the problem shifted to Chrome.  Now I have the problem on both browsers.  

I have run all my maintenance programs, and checked my disc - all report no problems.  

Any more suggestions please.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 45

Try removing all stored passwords on Chrome.

1. Open a Chrome Window.
  2. Click on the three dots on the top right corner. Select Settings.
  3. Select Passwords. ...
  4. To delete an individual password, click on the three dots next to it and select Remove.
  5. To delete all passwords, go to Clear Browsing Data from Settings -> Advanced and select Passwords.
0 Ratings
Pamelacf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 45

I have checked my passwords for email on Chrome and it has saved the correct password.  I already changed one when the problem occurred initially and the same problem occurred.

When I log in to my email, the correct saved password appears in the box, it is when I click login that the random numbers appear on the end of the saved password and the site refuses on the basis of incorrect password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 45

Apart from trying it on another computer, I cannot suggest anything else as I do not use webmail myself, only Thunderbird (e-mail client).

0 Ratings
pgbirtwistle
Beginner
Message 9 of 45

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I'll try another browser as suggested, but it only happens with the BT site and I have dozens of other passwords saved in Chrome, none of which show these symptoms.  I've tried accepting the new password(s), but BT still logs me in correctly using my original BT password (and a new one since I changed it just to be safe) and, even after I've told Google to remember one of the long passwords, in the password list for BT it shows my correct password.  That's why I'm wondering whether I'm initially logging in to BT but then being diverted to Yahoo via passwords generated by BT or something.

Peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 45

Are you using this link BT Mail

0 Ratings