cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anniemac
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Email problem intermittent but regular!

On my iMac computer regularly email stops arriving, and prevents me from sending emails out.  This can last for several hours or as much as two days.  During most of these times I can see my incoming mail on my iPad so I do not miss anything important but I still cannot send from the iPad and it is all very inconvenient.

Someone recently told me it is because BT email uses POP and that is would not happen with a system using IMAP.  He suggested I move my email to iCloud.  I am afraid this means nothing to me.  I have been online for many years but I do not get involved in what is going on in the background.  Does the POP/IMAP suggestion sound correct?  How can it be related to the BT/Mac set up when it is mostly OK on the iPad?

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what should I do about it?  Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email problem intermittent but regular!

There are countless posts on the forum regarding email not working for hours/days at a time. The BT email systems are flaky. It doesn't matter if you are using POP3 or IMAP, the problems affect both.

POP3 or IMAP is a personal choice, with POP3 emails are stored on the device but with IMAP emails are stored on the server and can be synced between multiple devices.  POP3 mail can be configured to leave a copy of the mail on the server but that only refers to the received mail in your inbox , not sent mail or any folders you may have created.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

I would say that the person who gave you the information " it is because BT email uses POP and that is would not happen with a system using IMAP.  He suggested I move my email to iCloud"  doesn't know what he is talking about and I would suggest you ignore anymore advice you get from that source.

Icloud has nothing whats ever to do with your BT email and you can use IMAP or POP or a combination of both on different devices with BT email.

The best advice is, when the problem starts, do nothing. Do not change any settings or passwords. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two.

When it does happen you should be able to use your email via webmail using a web browser and loggng on via this link.

BT Email

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@anniemacwrote:

On my iMac computer regularly email stops arriving, and prevents me from sending emails out.  This can last for several hours or as much as two days.  During most of these times I can see my incoming mail on my iPad so I do not miss anything important but I still cannot send from the iPad and it is all very inconvenient.

Someone recently told me it is because BT email uses POP and that is would not happen with a system using IMAP.  He suggested I move my email to iCloud.  I am afraid this means nothing to me.  I have been online for many years but I do not get involved in what is going on in the background.  Does the POP/IMAP suggestion sound correct?  How can it be related to the BT/Mac set up when it is mostly OK on the iPad?

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what should I do about it?  Thank you in advance.

Hi.

Your issue seems to indicate some form of interference. I assume your iPad is set as IMAP and also to check for emails every so many minutes, or other auto-checks. That being the case, it's possible that this could be the issue of locking out your iMac at times.

I guess it's easy to check - simply by changing the settings in the iPad.

Who told you it was due to POP and IMAP was OK?

iCloud mail is an Apple product - so I would imagine your "someone" was an Apple person.

0 Ratings