Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacmac1
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Email problems on iPhone with the correct username & password

Go to solution

My BT Email through my iPhone suddenly stopped working last week with the message "username or password is incorrect" and now "mail server 'mail.btinternet.com' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in mail settings".  I can still access my email through BT on the webmail client therefore the account is active and working.

I've deleted and reinstalled the mail account on my iphone, used all the correct port settings, have changed my password using My BT and confirmed this by accessing through webmail again, reset the password in both incoming and outbound mail server settings on the iphone and still cannot access my BT mail on my iphone.  I've tried to set up on another iphone and did not work (same issue - incrrect username or password).  I've also tried accessing with old passwords as per other threads.

Any other advice on what I can do?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
jroyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Email problems on iPhone with the correct username & password

Go to solution
Having the same issue.

Following thread.

Judy
0 Ratings
Highlighted
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
I’d suggest -

1. Go into your email section of your BTID and reset the password.
2. If you have access to a PC or MAC, setup the mail account (make sure it’s imap).
3. Once done test that.
4. You could also create a new email address under your BTID to test as well. If this works but your original one fails then it’s an account issue.
5. If it’s on your phone, does it make a difference when using 4g or WiFi?
6. Does this affect all accounts?

All my settings on my iPhone are mail.btinternet.com
0 Ratings
jacmac1
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Have tried all suggestions, including setting up a new email account and still no joy.

Can access original and new email account on webmail but still can't add in iphone - same message comes up.  Have reset all passwords to be the same one on both accounts but still not working.

It's the same on both 4G & Wifi.  All my other email accounts on my phone are working fine.  When I checked with BT they said my account was fine if I could access it through Webmail so it must be a problem with Apple.

0 Ratings
jacmac1
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Have also tried to set up using another email app on the iphone using the settings for IMAP & SMTP and getting the message "Unable to reach the IMAP server, please try again later".

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

0 Ratings
jroyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I’m having exactly the same problem! ARGH!!!
0 Ratings
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

May be silly but i had issues way way way back where my BTID and email address were the same and changing the email address password made no difference, both access and email ran off the BTID password.  I know its very unlikely as multiple people reporting the same but if both are the same, try using your BTID password and see if that works.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

If your password works on webmail there is obviously nothing wrong with the password and you should not change it.

If you are on the BTYahoo email system as against being on the BTMail system you could try using the Yahoo server settings.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3697.html

These settings will not work if you are on the BTMail system.

If you are not sure which system you are on you need to log onto your account via webmail and check the BT logo. If you see Yahoo it means you are on the BTYahoo system.

It is not unknown for the BT servers to go faulty but they usually work correctly after a day or so. If however you change your password while the servers are faulty this can cause a "disconnect" and throw the synchronisation of the password out, so if the above server settings don't work or you are on BTMail post back. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Please people, stop changing the password. Even if the response indicates a userid/password failure - it doesn't indicate that the password is to blame.

(This is for anyone else reading ...)

Changing password can cause other issues, meaning all devices need altering - some in more than one place.

Always check webmail first, and if that works - don't change passwords.

Access to app/clients can be flakey for some reason or other, and can last a few hours to  few days. What has been shown to kickstart BTYahoo accounts is login via:-

https://mail.yahoo.com

A password change can sometimes reset some form of data access faults (maybe fix slight corrupt user details) - but it should not be necessary/

0 Ratings
jacmac1
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
I’ve left this a few days to see if it sorts itself out but still no joy.

My BTID and email are the same with the same password. Webmail always works. Im on BT Mail and not Yahoo. It’s only when setting up email on my iPhone or iPad that doesn’t work now - with the incorrect username / password message and then the server not reaponding one.

I’ve reset the password again for both email and BTID (sorry but couldn’t think of anything better to do!). and set up the account with the right port settings and revised password. Still getting the incorrect username / password message.

Do I have to move from BT now??
0 Ratings