cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Email problems with Apple and BT

I hope someone has some insight into the following problem.

I have had a BT email account since 1997, the original and primary email is used for lots of things. Intermittently over the last few years my email from the original account stops working. I could previously solve the problem by deleting the account, resetting the password on the webmail, and then reinstalling the account.

Now the account stops for a few hours to a couple of days, and then restarts. It happens twice a week. I get errors like:

• ‘The mail server mail.btinternet.com is not responding’
  • ‘The user name and password specified were not accepted by the server’

Now I also have problems with the webmail version as well, albeit less frequently. It gives the error

• ‘There is no email account ….. associated with this BT log in’

As I have acquired more devices, it is clear it stops working simultaneously on all the devices. The majority of the devices are Apple. It will happen with Applemail, Yahoo mail and with Microsoft Outlook.

I have five other BT email accounts, which function correctly.

Apple have checked, and say it is a BT server problem. They have remotely checked some of the devices. The affected account has the same settings as the functioning emails.

BT on the other hand say that because the webmail works (intermittently) that the account is fine, and it is a device problem. Despite escalating this, there is no one at BT who will take ownership of this. All I get is someone else from the call centre telling me it is a problem with my devices.

It seems illogical that they can maintain this argument when it affects multiple devices, across multiple email clients at the same time.

Any suggestions for solving this, rather than inelegant work-around, would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Email problems with Apple and BT

You did not say which email system you are on but I suspect it is BTYahoo and not BTMail.

Your problem is not an "Email problems with Apple and BT". The problem happens with any devices and all operating systems,  Android, Apple and Windows etc.

As you have found, this problem only affects some  email accounts and not all. It can affect the "main" email account and not any sub-accounts and vice versa.

Because your email works on webmail, as far as BT are concerned the email account is working and they have fulfilled their part by supplying email.

BT do not offer support for email clients, which is what you are using on your devices, because there are far to many variables that BT can not control or be proficient in but they do provide servers so that if you choose to use an email client you can.

It is suspected by forum members that it is a BT / Yahoo server problem problem. It has been going on for many years but  BT has never said what the cause of the problem is nor have they offered a solution.

When the problem strikes the advice is NOT to change any settings or passwords, if you can still log on via webmail it is obviously not a password problem, and to just wait it out until it resolves its self however the best advice on offer by forum members is to get a gmail account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Thanks gg30340

I have read that, but I get intermittent problems logging into the webmail as well. Which BT conveniently ignores. 

Is there any merit in trying to migrate the email accounts to a new BT ID, and is it possible?

When you complain, can you ever get it escalated out of the offshore call centres, who only seem to want to close the case, rather than solve the problem. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

It will make no difference trying to migrate your email account to a different BTID. It is your email account that has the problem not your BTID. Your BTID is just a user name that gives you access to your BT account and its extras of which your email account is one of them.

It is very unlikely BT Customer Service will escalate your complaint about your email not working with email clients because as I have said, BT do not support them.

What you could try is complaining about your email not working via webmail when that happens. What you will probably find though is that they will tell you to change password and as you have found, this can often "solve" the problem at that time and if it does it will not be investigated further.

The other thing you could try is to email the BT CEO and outline your complaint to him. This has been known to get problems escalated but I have my doubts that it will be resolved.

You will find the CEO's email address via a google search.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

I am also a long-standing user of a btinternet email address and have experienced similar problems. I finally realised that my btinternet.com address is linked to a btopenworld.com account too (they have the same username prefix). The latter appears to be the ‘real’ address with the former simply mirroring it in all respects other than the password automatically being the same. I have found that resetting both passwords to be the same seems to sort this issue out, despite there being no mention of the btopenworld.com address anywhere in my Apple device settings.

Suspect this is a BT server/system issue rather than Apple/Outlook. 

Try logging in as username@btopenworld.com. If you can reset your password for this account, then I suspect this might be the source of your problem. 

Hope that helps. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

@djroberts_ukwrote:

I am also a long-standing user of a btinternet email address and have experienced similar problems. I finally realised that my btinternet.com address is linked to a btopenworld.com account too (they have the same username prefix). The latter appears to be the ‘real’ address with the former simply mirroring it in all respects other than the password automatically being the same. I have found that resetting both passwords to be the same seems to sort this issue out, despite there being no mention of the btopenworld.com address anywhere in my Apple device settings.

Suspect this is a BT server/system issue rather than Apple/Outlook. 

Try logging in as username@btopenworld.com. If you can reset your password for this account, then I suspect this might be the source of your problem. 

Hope that helps. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The btopenworld.com email bit came in around 2001 when BT started their broadband service, and was set to take over from btinternet.com which started in about 1995. However these are always mirrored, including passwords - in essence they are the same. They are not actually linked, they are the same apart from the domain - and interchangeable in emails.

BTopenworld was dropped a few years ago, but the name can still be used.

You can't reset their passwords differently, they are the same email address.

As you indicated, there is some strange behaviour at times where one of the account syntax seems to work better than the other. Also it might be that logging in to email might need one form or the other (either works for me) - and has been recognised over the years as something to try for some people having issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 13

You definitely can end up with different passwords for them. I just had to reset both of them and hey presto, I can access my emails via Outlook again. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@djroberts_ukwrote:

You definitely can end up with different passwords for them. I just had to reset both of them and hey presto, I can access my emails via Outlook again. 

How did you reset them individually? Can you give the exact method?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

I have faced another problem which neither BT or Apple would own or assist in solving.

I changed my BT password and was then unable to get into mail on my Apple devices. In spite of multiple calls to both BT and Apple in which I was just batted back and forward, I got no help.

It occurred to me that just maybe using £ in my password might be the problem. Using only alphanumeric characters in a new BT password, i was able to reset my apple devices immediately.

The lesson - in spite of their market capitalisation, Apple does NOT like £ or $.

Just keep your password simple  - letters and numbers only -  or Apple will refuse to let you in.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

It's not Apple that decides what can or can not be used in a BT password, it's BT.

0 Ratings