cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryJ
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Email receives but will not send, I'm stumped!

Go to solution

I'm looking for help here as I've had a look through the historical posts on here and found nothing to work.

I use Live Mail with 4 seperate BT email accounts and 1 Sky account.
My Sky account send and receives no problem, the 4 BT accounts will only receive.
Web Mail seems to function as it should, so it's a remote problem, although I have not changed any settings.

I have deleted one of the accounts and re-installed it from scratch, still not sending.
I've tried a (windows) system roll back but still no joy.
I have also installed Thunderbird and still get the same issue.

Here is a copy of the error:

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject 'test'
Server Error: 421
Server Response: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 65.20.0.43 (65.20.0.43:25), connect error 10060
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Email receives but will not send, I'm stumped!

Go to solution
Should be port 465 and ssl yes
MrAshbo
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I do not get any error messages but NOBODY gets emails I send via my btinternet email account. Worse, it works if I send emails via btinternet from my mobile phone! This points to outlook I know but I have spent an hour with ms yesterday they convinced me it is the BT SMTP servers ...no idea ...I posted my tale of woe yesterday on a similar topic in this forum

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@MrAshbo wrote:

I do not get any error messages but NOBODY gets emails I send via my btinternet email account. Worse, it works if I send emails via btinternet from my mobile phone! This points to outlook I know but I have spent an hour with ms yesterday they convinced me it is the BT SMTP servers ...no idea ...I posted my tale of woe yesterday on a similar topic in this forum

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

You added your post to a different issue with an error message, your scenario is not the same.

Are you a general user, or is this company emails ? I've seen at least 2 posts with the latter being the issue - meaning that there is a definite issue with the BTMail server filters or systems.

Can you send me a Private message (PM), and I will reply with a test btinternet email address to see if the same occurs.

To any moderator looking, this needs looking at.

GaryJ
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I've just tried Port 465 and it still does not work, when I activate SSL, the port defaults to 25.....then doesn't work.

Thanks anyway but still stumped 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It has to be 465 and SSL. 465 is a secure port 25 is unsecure. Activate SSL first and then change port to 465.

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@GaryJ wrote:

I've just tried Port 465 and it still does not work, when I activate SSL, the port defaults to 25.....then doesn't work.

Thanks anyway but still stumped 😞

Hi.

Tick the SSL box first, then type in 465 for the port.

I assume you've not had this issue until recently and it was working fine ? From your previous posts, you say you're on EE - this shouldn't matter, but may have a bearing.

GaryJ
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks to all, now working 🙂

Changed SSL to yes and port to 465, bingo!
Why it stopped working is a mystery.

Now I'm unable to send/receive on my Sky (IMAP) account....give me strength!
0 Ratings