cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 21

Re: Email receives but will not send

@TrevC1 wrote:
I am Certain I will, I'll give BT this last chance!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The error 0781 has popped up numerous times in the past, and is indicative of trying to send to too many addresses at once - however, it also relates to an account issue to send to any other emails as you've seen.

I've seen a few solutions that worked for some people. One being changing the password, another being changing the password to remove any symbols from the password.

Do you happen to have symbols in the password ? If so, try to change it to remove them replacing with numbers/upper case etc.

0 Ratings
TrevC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Hi Andy N

No symbols just lower case letters and one number in our pass. I spent an hour with on of our IT techs at my work ( a Local Authority) yesterday, and his conclusion was that it was a problem with BT, at their end, as neither the client nor webmail would send.

Thy're bookd to ring one more time, if this doen't work, and I have little confidence that it will we are on the verg of dumping them, but any suggestions you have will be helpful.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

I would suggest that you take up the offer of help from the moderator and wait until he/she contacts you.

0 Ratings
mitsumike41
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Interesting, I have just had a similar problem after setting up a new email address.

This was necessary due to receiving 80+ scam emails per day and Bt were unable to help, but suggested setting up a new sub account.

I did this and all spam stopped (thank goodness).

However, all my email folders are still within the old email address and I needed to move them and their content across to my new account.

I used a copy and paste, moving one folder at a time.

All seemed well until I tried to send and email from my new account, but it failed.

It had worked before I moved my folders.

I rang BT and got the big "I" treatment who eventualyy said it was their server error and that I would receive help within 48 hours. Err NO!

In desperation I deleted all the folders from my new account and hey ho it all worked again, not heard from BT though.

So the question is how do I import my email folders from old to new account?

Fortunately I had not deleted them from my old account.

At present I receive an email in my new account and store it in a folder on my old account as necessary.

By the way, not one spam or scam in my new account, but usual suspects are there in my old one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

The simplest way to move the mails is to use a mail client. Download and install Windows Live Mail (free) then add both mail accounts as IMAP accounts. You can then just copy and paste the folders across from one to the other. You may find you prefer to use WLM once transferred rather than webmail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 21

@TrevC1 wrote:

Hi Andy N

No symbols just lower case letters and one number in our pass. I spent an hour with on of our IT techs at my work ( a Local Authority) yesterday, and his conclusion was that it was a problem with BT, at their end, as neither the client nor webmail would send.

Thy're bookd to ring one more time, if this doen't work, and I have little confidence that it will we are on the verg of dumping them, but any suggestions you have will be helpful.  

Hi again.

Thanks for the extra info. The fact that webmail doesn't send actually proves it's a BTMail fault for your account. As mentioned, the moderators should be able to sort it out.

This time, when it's fixed, can you get them to tell you the exact reason for the fault and report back to this forum?

BT support have so far ignored virtually all requests to report back findings and solutions to faults - including this type. That is simply not good enough, as no-one can give any real extra help, including the moderators who seemingly have to start looking at the fault from scratch again. That's just not the way to handle a faultdesk correctly.

Surely there is a searchable fault database - if not then they should set one up. It would make things so much easier for all the support teams, as long as they shared it.

0 Ratings
TrevC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Hi gg30340-, yes Paddy B hads kindly offered to help, and am very shortly to ask his help!

0 Ratings
TrevC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Yes Andy N- If and when its fixed I will do so, in fact you will probably hear me cheering!

0 Ratings
TrevC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Well over a month in, Dozens of calls to BT, including 5 calls from BT Escalation, who have all said the same thing, i.e. What their script says; change the password. When it hasn't worked they say they will re-escalate it higher, but next time they call they just suggest the same thing again, as though the escalator has no idea of the previous story of our case. The cancellation team say that we haven't completed the troubleshooting process yet, so can't let us cancel the contract with incurring a £250 + charge! We have set up a Gmail account just so we can send emails, we are desperately disappointed with BT's Customer Care and Technical Support, who are evidently sadly lacking in any depth of knowlage when it comes to any problem that deviates from the basic script. The plan now is to get the remaining 11months over and dump them, what a shower.

0 Ratings
TrevC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

It just gets worse! After another call from BT following my mail of the 11th May, offering to help I have had yet another 3 conversations with their 2nd Escalation Team without offering any new ideas, and who finally rang us to say the problem was an outage with one of their servers that their back office team would have to sort out, very sorry etc etc.. Then we get a call tonight to say that the problem with receiving error message 0781 was resolved! Nothing to do with the previous conversations! And we are still getting that error message 0781 and we still can't sent emails.

Meanwhile I can imagine BT closing this complaint as another one successfully resolved, what a joke.

0 Ratings