cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Email recovery after IMAP accident

I've already tried that, I thought gg30340 was suggesting that BT can sometimes recover emails so I was asking about how I'd request that they look into doing that for my missing emails.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

Its odd that Outlook has not put them into a deleted file on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/restore-deleted-email-messages-in-outlook-com-cf06ab1b-ae...

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

@samuelthomson wrote:

I've already tried that, I thought gg30340 was suggesting that BT can sometimes recover emails so I was asking about how I'd request that they look into doing that for my missing emails.

See message 4.

Message 14 of 24

@samuelthomson wrote:

No, what I said was " if it was a BT fault that deleted them and even then it was rarely a 100% recovery".  This, I suspect would be because when BT lost or deleted an account holder's emails it usually happened when BT were working on the system and presumably they made a back up prior to commencing the work. 

BT do not offer a of recovery of emails when it has been done by the account holder whether by accident or design.

mentioned in message 4 that he would contact the moderators to see if they can help but I would agree that it will be surprising if they can recover them.

If they can help they will contact you via this thread.

EDIT: Post crossed with above post.

Message 15 of 24

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email--some-of-my-emails-are-missing--can-i-recover-them-

If you have take a Windows system image very recently, then you can mount that image, and copy the data files back again.

I normally take monthly system images, just in case something goes wrong, although I use Gmail not BT Mail, and the Thunderbird email client. 

As far as I'm aware, you can no longer extract individual files from a Windows backup image, it can only be used to clone a disc.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

"Its odd that Outlook has not put them into a deleted file on your computer."

That looks like it's for Outlook.com or Outlook Live. I'm using the version that comes with Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016. I certainly don't have the option in the "deleted" folder to "recover items..."

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Its odd that Outlook has not put them into a deleted file on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/restore-deleted-email-messages-in-outlook-com-cf06ab1b-ae...

That is Outlook.com not MS Outlook the mail client.

Deleted files are sent to trash unless hard deleted by pressing Shift+ Delete, in which case they are deleted permanently.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Did you look at the link I posted earlier about your 5GB .pst file?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email--some-of-my-emails-are-missing--can-i-recover-them-

If you have take a Windows system image very recently, then you can mount that image, and copy the data files back again.

I normally take monthly system images, just in case something goes wrong, although I use Gmail not BT Mail, and the Thunderbird email client. 

As far as I'm aware, you can no longer extract individual files from a Windows backup image, it can only be used to clone a disc.

Yes you can, you need to mount the .vhdx file which is within the system image folder. Its the largest one. Its done via the disk management console, attach VHD.

It then appears as a new drive letter and you can use file explorer to locate any files you want. I have don it many times.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Does that work with W11?

0 Ratings