I am trying to set up rules for my emails.
I want emails with certain words in the subject line or the body of the email to be discarded.
It appears I am doing it correctly. I create a rule by choosing "does not contain" and entering the words I don't want in an email.
I have checked the box 'active.'
I emailed from a completely different account to test the rules are working multiple times but they are still coming through.
Any ideas as to why this is not working?
If you want emails with certain words in the subject line or the body of the email to be discarded.
I think you should be using the rule "If Subject Contains" and enter the words you want rejected rather than "does not contain" and in the "If Message contains" you should be entering the words you don't want it to contain.
I also tried your suggestion, thank you.
But no luck, the emails are still coming through as the rules are not taking effect.
I posted back in May about issues with rules but no answers. I am convinced that there are wider issues with this that need to be resolved by BT. I have many rules set up. After migration to the new format email, some worked and some didn't. I have tried setting up a rule with another of my email addresses and that worked. I have tried editing the existing ones to replace data but that didn't work. I have tried deleting and adding again and that didn't work. Like others on this thread, there was a period where the add button was greyed out but that's resolved now. Unfortunately, I don't know what else to try other than wait and hope someone is working on this.
*** BT know full well there is a problem with their email rules but you try and find someone to accept it ! ***
There is a known wider issue with email rules not taking into account the content within the 'body' of emails which are in the MIME format, I originally reported my rules problem on 2nd June '20 and I was repeatedly fobbed off with 'we don't know of this issue', 'this is not a BT problem' , it's a problem with your 'browsers ( all five of them, Oh please !! ) or no-one called me back when i was assured of a callback within 24hrs.
After much complaining, repeating the same story every time I called in, repeatedly requesting the issue be escalated, asking again and again 'what more can I do as a paying customer not getting the service I am paying for', by this time I am now exasperated and into a 4-5 week wait since I first reported the whole issue and only a matter of hours away from emailing CEO Philip Jansen.
I eventually received a call from Daniel within the Executive Customer Resolution Team, apparently had I sent an email to the CEO it would have ended up at their desk anyway, at last I thought a 'named person' was listening to me and accepted what I was saying, he explained that there was a known issue with the Rules of the BT email system not searching body of email messages and that the Technical back office within BT were looking into the issue but for now just couldn't give me a timeline as to when there would be a resolution, apparently for a Rule to search an entire email message affects overall system performance rather than just searching the email subject/heading, this I accept given the number of emails BT probably processes, at least the my personal email issues have been understood and acknowledged .
I am still an exasperated paying customer not getting the service I am paying for but at least I have a named contact, an email address for his department and weekly 1:1 call updates from Daniel.
I live in hope !
In some ways its reassuring to hear someone else has picked up the issues. I was surprised at the lack of response when I originally posted in May. When the migration to the new email update occurred I had about 20 rules working out of the 250 odd I had previously. I have now resorted to deleting the whole lot and starting again. I have entered about 20 new ones now but none work. My original plan was to try different things on those 20 to see if I could bring them to life. Having read your post I may wait now and when I can musster the enthusiasuim also get in touch with BT to add my complaint to those in the system.
Thanks for the information
The email rules are crazy. I deleted a pile of mine but this below is still happening.
I have several folders in an attempt to be tidy with my emails. I have a folder set for all email where 'From' contains my surname catching all the emails from my family. This bit of it works fine but it also sends email from TopShop, Churchill insurance, to name a few (and there are quite a few).
It's not just this one folder that this happens to, but it is the most frequent. I have to scroll past all my folders to see if there's anything random in them.
I'm actually wondering if emails get sent to the last folder I was working in .