cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
paulgrier
Message 1 of 9

Email sent to btinternet.com email addresses not being delivered and not bouncing

Slightly at my wit's end here. I have several contacts with btinternet.com email addresses. When I email them from my personal email address (managed through Google) the messages don't arrive. They don't bounce, and they aren't in the recipient's spam or junk folder - they merely vanish.

My own email address is at a third party domain with its email managed through Google. The domain has correctly configured DMARC, DKIM and SPF records (according to both Google and MX Toolbox) and all my emails are signed using DKIM. These are also not bulk or "marketing" emails - they're single personal emails sent to friends.

All emails to people without btinternet.com addresses are being delivered. If I send an email to two people - say joe.bloggs@something.com and jane.doe@btinternet.com - the first person receives the email while the person with the btinternet.com address receives nothing, and I don't get a bounce or any other form of rejection. The email merely vanishes into the ether for that person.

If I send an email to the same two people from my work email address (Exchange server etc, nothing to do with Google) then the email arrives fine for both people (and no, I don't want to send all email from my work address, before someone makes that helpful suggestion).

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email sent to btinternet.com email addresses not being delivered and not bouncing

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I think you may have answered your own question perhaps. Even with all the settings are in place, the issue seems to be with your domain - but more likely with the BTinternet mail systems.

Unfortunately as you don't get any non-delivery messages, it's virtually impossible to work out what's going on.

What needs to happen, is that someone from each mail system should get involved and trace the messages through the servers for the mail delivery and receipt. That's not going to happen, though I've suggested it many times before. BT simply aren't interested.

Is there any possibility of your domain using a different mail serve, like its own and bypassing Google?

0 Ratings
Joan31
Message 3 of 9

Re: Email sent to btinternet.com email addresses not being delivered and not bouncing

For the last few weeks I've been getting the same problem with sending emails to btinternet addresses.  No delivery and no error message.  I have a waitrose address and use Windows Live Mail.  All other mail is getting through.

0 Ratings
FlyBoy912
Message 4 of 9

I have 2 friends with Plusnet email addresses and since the 10th October I have not received any emails they have sent to my btinternet email address. The Plusnet senders do not get any "bounce back" nor delivery failure notifications. I have checked my spam and junk folders and the missing emails do not appear there - they are just lost somewhere in the ether. Since Plusnet and BT are the same company I hope they can fix this quickly.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Hi. With respect, Plusnet & BT are not the same company. They have different infrastructures and management, and are totally separate.

The mail problem is purely a BTinternet one, which they seem to flatly refuse to investigate. I know the moderators read these posts.

0 Ratings
Joan31
Message 6 of 9

I've just been informed that the problem apparently lies with BT updating their server and somehow adding John Lewis and Waitrose email addresses to a 'grey list' of users from whom they don't accept emails.  Supposed to be put right with a new update on 5th November.  Why couldn't they tell us?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

@Joan31wrote:

I've just been informed that the problem apparently lies with BT updating their server and somehow adding John Lewis and Waitrose email addresses to a 'grey list' of users from whom they don't accept emails.  Supposed to be put right with a new update on 5th November.  Why couldn't they tell us?!

Hi.

Really? Who told you this information?

I find it extremely unlikely BT have effectively blocklisted JL or Waitrose - if this was the case, there would be masses of complaints, and cause all sorts of online shopping issues. So I don't believe what you were told.

If they really have blocked them, they would not delay until 5th Nov to unblock, that could be deemed as a serious mishandling and cost them very dear.

0 Ratings
Joan31
Message 8 of 9

I was told this by the Waitrose technical help desk yesterday.  They had received a lot of complaints and sounded confident about the cause.  However this morning I heard from a friend that an email I sent to her btinternet address on 26 Oct had just arrived!  Now I don't know who or what to believe.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Unlikely to be a blocklist as opposed to Waitrose missing SPF records which is likely to be the case for the non-delivery.

0 Ratings