Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Confused139
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 74

Email server timed out message.

Go to solution

I often have problems getting my email. I use Thundebird and select "get my mail" then wait. It either just works or I get the following messages.

"Sending of password for user ................... did not did not suceed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: go ahead"

It has an OK button so I press it then get the next messages.

"Login to server mail.btinternet.com with .............  failed"

Then

"Connection to server btinternet.com timed out."

I happened to me a couple of times every day and to my husband about once a week. However today it took me seven goes to get my mail. It then took three to get the confirmation to join this group.

I had assumed it was to do with our old internet connection and it would disappear once we went to fibre. No. It has got worse not better, what is wrong.

I have looked at the BT help but can not find this issue and am not willing to do the chat thing, it frightens me.

Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
73 REPLIES 73
Highlighted
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 74

Re: Email server timed out message.

Go to solution

I use Outlook within MS Office as my email platform, as webmail is cumbersome and un-user-friendly.

I've been getting this send/receive error message

"Error 0x8004210A - the operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server."

repeatedly for a while now, it comes and goes, but is persistent.  Some days is worse than others, but it's been happening on and off for many months, and wasting time "contacting my service provider" is no help, since it's all very well the helpdesk saying it will clear or to ask me to keep changing the password, but this is unecessary hassle and time-consuming. Moreover, it should not be keeping happening. Why cannot these servers reply when prompted?  BT owns the servers, so why cannot BT ensure their servbice continues uninterrupted at all times? This is what we pay for, after all. It is NOT a "third-party server software" problem, as the helpdesk keep trying to tell me, since BT own the servers. I know this....

Please, BT, DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THESE SERVERS OF YOURS MORE ROBUST AND RESPONSIVE.  I am fed up with not being able to rely on your service.

Is there another thread discussing my variant of your problem, I wonder?  I can't believe I'm the only user to suffer continually in this way.

0 Ratings
Confused139
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 74

Go to solution

Hello David

I could not believe it was only me getting this kind of issue. You access your email in a different way but I think our probem is the same. I have searched for similar problems in the BT "help"  but found nothing I assume you have done the same. Are they hiding this issue? Why are their servers so poor? I have put up with this for months but today was beyond ridiculous I reckon over twenty tries at getting email has resulted in two that were sucessful. What a waste of time. Like you I will not use webmail as it is beyond useless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 74

Go to solution
If you search the forum you will find many posts about your problem.

This is just one of the posts.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Problems-connecting-to-POP3-IMAP/td-p/1786726
0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 74

Go to solution

Thanks.

I've spent hours this evening reading through every post on the linked thread you suggested, and the problem is even more widespread I see.

Thanks to Peter M's initial post back in 2017 on the linked thread, I gained an understanding of the problem.  But now, some 300+ posts later, we are no closer to a real solution.  It is abundantly clear that the fault lies with the BT servers and their authentication process and NOT with the third-party software/interface - despite BT's "scripted" assertions.  It is also abundantly clear that BT couldn't care less about fixing this.  WHY? is the big mystery. 

It is an erratic problem. And has been for the past few years, but with latter-day peaks - periods of up to 12 hours at a time when unable to get anything but "send/receive error" then a sudden clearance, then off again.  The Webmail alternative is non-user-friendly, which is why i use MS Outlook, where all my data is stored.

The suggested "sign in to mail.yahoo.com" workround does not work.

If I were to set up a non-ISP email account as suggested i would be stuck with using webmail, get loads of rubbish promotional messages and - most importantly - lose access to all my 12 years plus of back-correspondence and data which (obviously) won't be there on a new account. I would have to start all over again and create a new contact list, and tell all my contacts. 

I am at my wit's end. I am thoroughly sick and tired of losing valuable working time through these outages.

Email server problems aside, I am happy with BT and the service it provides for telephone and Broadband, as my needs are modest.  I have no need for Sports or mobiles or gadgetry, just for my basic services to work. So why can't BT sort out this issue NOW?

The correspondent Noel posted that he has an Executive Level Technical Complaints Contact who gets things done - lucky him!  (Please can i have his telephone number?) Oh why is it so hard for ordinary mortals like us to get through to someone reliable and contactable, instead we get the same old misdirections and excuses from so-called Support/Helpdesk operatives who deny everything.  I have spent hours and hours going to and fro from help desk to microsoft support (useless) and back again, up and down from team to team, remote access, messing about with settings and every trick in the book, but the problem still comes and goes.

After almost a whole day of receiving very few email messages via Outlook, I have just received one, timed at 20 minutes ago. The last was four hours ago, and before that a batch of three at midday, with timed origins between 2 and 3 hours previously. Of course I have no way of knowing whether any others have gone astray in the interim...

I have now got to the point where I just don't know what to do, since there appears no solution to the problem and nobody sufficiently expert with whom to discuss it, in real time or otherwise. ("Live chat" is useless.)

Someone up there in BT Towers and/or a knowledgeable Moderator must be reading this, surely???  So why cannot they invest a little time in giving customers a robust and reliable system? PLEASE....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 74

Go to solution

@David782 wrote:

The suggested "sign in to mail.yahoo.com" workround does not work. That stopped working over a year or more.

If I were to set up a non-ISP email account as suggested i would be stuck with using webmail, get loads of rubbish promotional messages and - most importantly - lose access to all my 12 years plus of back-correspondence and data which (obviously) won't be there on a new account. I would have to start all over again and create a new contact list, and tell all my contacts.  If you set up a non ISP email account you would not be stuck with using webmail any more than you are now. You would just set up that account in your Outlook email client and use it in the same way as you use your email now. The only difference would be that you would be using the servers of which ever email service you chose to use. 

Your contacts would be just the same as you have now because your contact list is stored in Outlook.

As regards telling your contacts, a simple email sent out to all your contacts advising them of your new email address is all that is needed. You should also set up forwarding in your BT email account to your new email account so that any contacts that you missed would have their email automatically forwarded to the new email account.

It may take a while to cover all the places that you use the email address such as banks etc  but once done that will be it. You would not need to do it again if you decided to change your ISP in the future.

If your emails from the past 12 years are stored on your computer you would still have access to them in Outlook and if they are not on your computer and only stored on the BT servers you should download them onto your computer and back them up.

I am at my wit's end. I am thoroughly sick and tired of losing valuable working time through these outages. You should still be able to access your emails using a browser via webmail while the problem is happening.

0 Ratings
Confused139
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 74

Go to solution

Hello Distinguished Sage

I like the idea of not using BT's dodgy servers but do not understand who or what non ISP e-mail is. I use Thunderbird so I understand your Outlook instructions are the "same" for me but just do not know where to look. I thought if you had BT broadband that is the e-mail you use. 

I am sort of relievd it is not just me but the sheer number of folks struggling with this dire service does not inspire much confidence in BT's customer relations.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 74

Go to solution

You can use any email service you want. All BT who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider) do is supply you with a connection to the Internet. It is entirely your choice if you decide to use their email service or the service of another email company.

As regards a non ISP (Internet Service Provider) email provider, that means an email supplier such as Googles email service known as gmail or Microsofts email service that is know as Outlook.com or you could get a paid for email service. If you search the Internet you will find many companies offering that service.

If you decided to use an other email service you would just set it up in Thunderbird in exactly the same way that you set up your BT email address but instead of entering the BT settings you would enter the settings specific to the email provider that you have chosen.

0 Ratings
Confused139
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 74

Go to solution

Hello Distinguished Sage

Thank you for your clear reply. I have set up a gmail account and sucessfully sent a message to my husband and received a reply so it works. I will have a play with it and see if I can get it to work in Thunderbird. If it does I will give BT a few more days then start migrating across to that address.

I appreciate the advice but it does seem ridiculous to have to use another service. Along with all the performance of telling all the folks I deal with my e-mail has changed. I assume BT must not make money on e-mail so they don't care.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 74

Go to solution

It is relatively easy to set up. The set up wizard will do most of the work for you. All you do is select the option to "Add an account" and follow the prompts. 

Your address book will be the same so no need to do anything with that and all your previously stored emails/folders will still be there for you to access.

While it may be a pain having to do this, it will "free" you from being tied to BT or any other Internet provider just because you have one of their email addresses. You will be able to seek out the best prices when your contract is ended without having to worry that you will lose your email address if you move.

I mentioned in one of the posts about forwarding your BT email to your new email address so that you would not miss any should one of your contacts still send to BT.

It should be noted that it has been mentioned else where on the forum that the forwarding facility has been removed from BTYahoo email. This happened previously and after investigation it was found to be an error and the facility was reinstated so hopefully now that its removal has been brought to the attention of BT it will once again be reinstated soon. 

Unless you are a BT Premium email customer, BT do not charge for email, it is called a "free add on service"  however BT undoubtedly make money from the plethora of adverts that BT customers have to endure should they choose use the email service via a web browser.

0 Ratings