cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Email spam

Go to solution

I have now tried twice in the last 10 days to get my BT email address removed as it has been hacked. I get often over 20 spam messages a day, (yes - a day!) some of which are threats and demands for money. I have not used my BT account for over 3 years and have previously also tried to get my account removed. I have recently succeeded in getting my ID deleted but that has made no difference to the emails being recieved to the account.

I have aske a simple question " will you delete my email address so that any email sent to it is returned as undelivereable"?

I have been assured that it will be done and that somone will call me to confirm. Nobody has called me. 

WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Email spam

Go to solution

@frazer77 

Once an email address is out in the open, its not possible to remove it. All you need to do is to simply stop checking the email account, as you no longer use it. Then you will not see the spam.

It will eventually be disabled then deleted by BT as not in use.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I like your term "eventually" but it seems that that period is well in excess of 3 years as it is still active after that time. In these days of spammers and hackers I just do not like the thought that my email address is still accessible by those who are at best, not my friend,and at worst may be seeking ways to do me harm.

I fail to see why an email address cannot be deleted.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

It is still active because you keep checking it. How can it do you any harm if you don't access it?

How do you know if the fridge light goes out when you close the door?

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Why are you still even accessing the account if you are not using it? Just ignore it, nothing will happen.

If you are reading the spam, then its telling the sender that the email address is still active, and they can send even more spam. They can tell if you access the spam, by using hidden images, which are only one pixel in size and cannot be seen.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @frazer77 

Thank you for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the problems you've been having deleting your mailbox.  There is a help article to show you how to do it.  Here is the link >> How do I close or delete an email account? <<

If you want to delete an email address you've created or one you've been given by another person:

If you've got broadband with BT, select Your products, then scroll down to the Email tile and select the link to Manage

Premium email customers will need to select the Premium Mail option and then the link to Manage

Next select the email address or addresses you want to delete and confirm. You may be asked to provide the password

Once you've deleted the email address, we'll send you an email confirmation. We'll also send one to the user of the email address.

For 60 days, the deleted email address can be reactivated by the BT ID account holder. After 60 days, the contents of the mailbox will be permanently deleted and can't be recovered. If you later change your mind, the email address will however still be available to re-use for up to 3 years.

I understand from your post that you've deleted your BT ID so the above steps may not work for you.  If that's the case, I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you from here. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie