Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: Email - too many recipients

Pretty obvious when you think about it. They have a limit of only 20 emails on a recipients list, so it would take about 30,000,000 / 20 emails to send out a notification to everyone. Instead, they cut your email service, saying that they have noticed unusual happenings on your account and that it has been hacked.

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 22 of 27

For some weeks now I have been able to send successive emails to lists of less than 50. Its a pain, but I guess I've got used to it.

I'm interested in Oliver341's post that lists recipients that have been removed from a mailing. This implies that if you send to more than 50, the first 50 will go? When I tried that, in the earlier days after the cap had been introduced, my email program locked if I tried to send the same message more than once.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 23 of 27

@gatehill wrote:

I'm interested in Oliver341's post that lists recipients that have been removed from a mailing. This implies that if you send to more than 50, the first 50 will go? When I tried that, in the earlier days after the cap had been introduced, my email program locked if I tried to send the same message more than once.

If you try to send one email to more than 50 people, the email will fail and it will not be sent to anyone. The SMTP server will give the client an error message when the 51st address is sent to the SMTP server (at this point the contents of the email have not even been sent to the SMTP server).

Oliver.
0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 24 of 27

OK, thanks, Oliver341.

0 Ratings
twobeards
Contributor
Message 25 of 27

I've just spent quite a bit of my vauable time sorting out why my emails won't send I've spent most of that time trawling thruogh the BT Help database until I come across the unhelpful comment that error 452 means I've got too many recipients -  I new that from the error message you dimwits). WHAT i WANTED TO KNOW WAS WHAT THE LIMIT IS and it doesn't tell me, How helpful is that - not!! Haviong read these posts I now believe it to be 50 (my distribution list had just goen from 47 to 51 befoer it failed) Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

I find it incredible that BT does not seem to want to tell its customers what level of service it is actually offering.  I am paying for unlimited broadband and unlimited "any time" calls.  Clearly this is just sales hype.  I cannot find anywhere where BT tells me how many recipients I can address an email to.   To repeatedly get the message "too many recipients" is not helpful.  What I (and many others) want to know is how many is "too many".  Obviously it is beyond the wit of BT managers to put that figure in the error message.    I'm not running a business but just trying to email my fellow members of a small society that I belong to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 27

BT are unlikely to publish numbers as that will tell the spammers how many they can send. However, I do think they are being over aggressive with the number permitted, spammers don't send by the tens of recipients.

0 Ratings