Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turtle01
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Email transfer

Go to solution

Hi, I've just moved away from BT and opted to keep my email address by importing it to a friend's BT account. However, everytime we try we get an error message, saying'there is a problem but it is nothing to do with what you are doing. If you try later, you should be successful. '  The same message constantly appears. No one at BT has been able to help even after registering 2 complaints. Mine is an old email address (talk21. Com) so I wonder if that is a problem but I'm going round in circles with BT customer services, even after it's been referred to their technical team. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email transfer

Go to solution

Try importing it as username.t21@btinternet.com instead of username@talk21.com

0 Ratings
Turtle01
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

We did try that once, I'll ask her to try again, thanks. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I do not use BT mail, but I thought the idea of importing an email address, was so a BT Broadband user could access it from their account?

As you are trying to access it from another provider, you would not be able to use the BT mail servers.

You would not have lost your email address when you moved, it would have been downgraded to web only access.

A BT Broadband account holder can gift one of their email addresses to another user, but that is not what you are trying to do.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Are you using the process in this link?

Can I move my BT email address to another account? | BT Help

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I do not use BT mail, but I thought the idea of importing an email address, was so a BT Broadband user could access it from their account?

As you are trying to access it from another provider, you would not be able to use the BT mail servers.

You would not have lost your email address when you moved, it would have been downgraded to web only access.

A BT Broadband account holder can gift one of their email addresses to another user, but that is not what you are trying to do.

If the OP's friend can import the email account it makes no odds what provider the OP is using. If he wants to access it on webmail it is just the same as using a browser anywhere on any ISPs network.

If he is using an email client/app, as long as the OP is using the BT servers in the client/app he will be able to access his account on any ISP network.

From a security point of view the OP needs to get his friend to "gift" the email account to him so that the OP is responsible for the management of the account and password so as to prevent his friend accessing it from his MyBT.

0 Ratings
Turtle01
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

This has worked, thank you so much. B T have been no help. 

0 Ratings
Turtle01
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Another BT account holder can import my existing  BT email address to their account. Someone has now helped me do this, thanks anyway. 

0 Ratings
Turtle01
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, we were following BT instructions. The issue has been my old email address needing to be input in a slightly different format. Now solved on here as BT Customer Services couldn't solve. 

0 Ratings