Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gleaf2
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Email

Apologies I can’t access email board.

i cannot send any emails from my Ipad. Was ok this morning, now they just stay in my outbox. Any ideas.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Email

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.

Assuming you are still able to send and receive your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email account or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

0 Ratings
Gleaf2
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Thanks. I don’t seem to be able to send photos via Webmail, thet is a big problem for me. I click on the photo attachment link but the photos in my library won’t load. Photos that I try to send direct from my photo library just languish in my outbox. Grrr! It was all ok yesterday.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Can you send emails that don't have an attachment?

Delete everything that is in the outbox and try again.

Try and drag/drop the photos into webmail.

Gleaf2
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Thanks. No I can’t send emails that don’t have an attachment. I will try your drag and drop suggestion tomorrow. Goodnight.
Joan
0 Ratings
Gleaf2
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Today I was told by Apple Support that many  BT internet customers now have been moved to a Yahoo server but, as Yahoo doesn’t recognise my BT email address, it seems that I am one of the ones that have not. On Apple’s advice I now have set up a Yahoo account, got a Yahoo email adress and set It up as my default account. All seems to be working perfectly at the moment. No such help from BT! On live chat they just wanted me to waste time checking all those settings yet again and told me it was not their responsibility to make it work on my Ipad!  As a long term BT customer for phone, tv and broadband I am pretty fed up with their standard of  service. Maybe I will try somebody else when my contract runs out. Thanks for your help though. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Apple, of course, are talking complete rubbish.

BTinternet users have not been moved to Yahoo, some have been moved FROM Yahoo to BTMail but that migration process stopped about 5 years ago leaving some customers on one service and some on the other. However, it matters not which mail system you are on, the server and other details are exactly the same and Yahoo servers should not be used for xxxxx@btinternet.com email addresses.

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 21

@Gleaf2wrote:

Today I was told by Apple Support that many  BT internet customers now have been moved to a Yahoo server but, as Yahoo doesn’t recognise my BT email address, it seems that I am one of the ones that have not. On Apple’s advice I now have set up a Yahoo account, got a Yahoo email adress and set It up as my default account. All seems to be working perfectly at the moment. No such help from BT! On live chat they just wanted me to waste time checking all those settings yet again and told me it was not their responsibility to make it work on my Ipad!  As a long term BT customer for phone, tv and broadband I am pretty fed up with their standard of  service. Maybe I will try somebody else when my contract runs out. Thanks for your help though. 

Apple Support haven't got the foggiest idea what they are talking about. Certainly don't believe what they are saying.

Yahoo controlled BTinternet email addresses from around 2003 until March 2014 when some of the accounts were migrated to BT Mail. That migration was permanently suspended in September 2014 with email accounts on both systems.

BTinternet accounts have NOT been moved to Yahoo servers, and will not be directly recognised by Yahoo as they are not Yahoo accounts.

You can check what system you are on if you look at webmail access :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and see if a Yahoo image is near the top. If not, they your account is BTMail.

BTYahoo accounts can still use the Yahoo servers as it happens, but this is not a recommended permanent change. This can lead to accounts being deemed not connecting to BTinternet and possibly deleted.

When setting up accounts, always use a manual setup, not using any form of auto or "app" defaults.

The issue you described from the outset is as gg30340 said in post number 2 in this thread.

Please can you confirm how you are accessing email - webmail is accessed from a browser, not an app or client. So in the iPad, what browser are you using to access the email account?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Apple's advice about using the Yahoo servers is wrong. It might work if you are on the BTYahoo email service but not if you are on the BTMail service.

One of the biggest problem with using the Yahoo servers to access a BTYahoo email account if they work for you is that it does not register with BT that your email account is being used. This leaves the account to being deleted after 90 days for non use.

I don't expect any ISP Help desk would tell you to set up another companies mail service so while it might have been advice from Apple I don't think you can blame BT Hep desk for not offering that as a solution.  

Did Apple offer you any advice how to receive your BT email on your new Yahoo account or have they left you to work that one out you self?

EDIT: Just re read what you said Apple said about being moved to Yahoo and I misread it first time, as others have pointed out, this is complete rubbish and the Apple Help Desk are obviously not as clever as they would have you believe.

Gleaf2
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Thanks,  I am getting more and more confused. In answer to some questions. No Yahoo symbol at top when I access BT website. I use Safari to access it. I am not very technical so don’t understand some of what is being said but I do need to send both emails and attachments. How should I try to get it sorted. In the end it just sorted itself out but only afrter about a week of frustration and wasted time. 

0 Ratings