cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AD2
Message 1 of 3

Emails being downloaded multiple times in Outlook becasue they aren't being deleted from server

I have been using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 for years without problem but suddenly the same e-mails are being downloaded over and over again because they are not disappearing from the server once they have been downloaded. I have deleted my e-mail account and set it up again. I have tried different Port numbers as advised on the helpline but none work other than my original settings. 

Can anyone offer any ideas as to why the e-mails are not being deleted from the server any more? I have to go into my web based email and delete them manually. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Emails being downloaded multiple times in Outlook becasue they aren't being deleted from server

@AD2wrote:

I have been using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 for years without problem but suddenly the same e-mails are being downloaded over and over again because they are not disappearing from the server once they have been downloaded. I have deleted my e-mail account and set it up again. I have tried different Port numbers as advised on the helpline but none work other than my original settings. 

Can anyone offer any ideas as to why the e-mails are not being deleted from the server any more? I have to go into my web based email and delete them manually. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

What access are you using for Outlook 2003, is it pop3 or imap (what port for example?)

What settings did the helpline suggest?

Do you have a box checked that says "leave messages on server"? (That's relevant to pop3 rather than imap, as imap should sync with the server if you delete emails).

What can happen, is if there is a corruption in the Outlook 2003 database store (or other mail client), and it can't sync with the message tag number. So when new emails arrive, the client should match what it's already got set as a marker, and only download new emails from the previous marker. If this marker can't be read properly, or doesn't exist - the mail client can start to download all emails on the server. That appears to be what you're seeing.

In my view this appears to be an Outlook corruption issue. Your version is pretty old these days of course.

0 Ratings
AD2
Message 3 of 3

Re: Emails being downloaded multiple times in Outlook becasue they aren't being deleted from server

Thank you for your reply. 

I think I will look at updating my Outlook version. 

0 Ratings