Did you mean: 
Highlighted
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 22

Emails being rejected to BTInternet, Talk21 and BTYahoo email addresses

Go to solution

Hi,

We are a school using a mailing system called InTouch to communicate with our parents and all emails to BTInternet, Talk21 and BTYahoo email addresses are now being rejected!!!! Capita who run InTouch and BT say the issue is nothing to do with them but the issue affects every address of these types that we send to so this seems highly unlikely! They say the issue is with the individual users so 200 users have all developed this issue at the same time .... 

Anyway the message received is - 

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server: ********@btinternet.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status) Remote MTA mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net: network error - SMTP protocol diagnostic: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html

with the below information in the Delivery Status Notification email - 

Reporting-MTA: dns; rgin09.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk
Received-from-MTA: dns; EUR01-DB5-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com (104.47.2.71)
Arrival-Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 19:34:58 +0100

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *******@btinternet.com
Action: Failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net

Can anyone shed any light or offer any ideas of who to contact to Support to get this resolved as i am not having much joy so far and it is causing major issues with it being the start of term in school we have lots of important information to send home.

Regards,

Dean.

IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - Comptia A+ Certified, MTA Qualified and MTSC qualified
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Emails being rejected to BTInternet, Talk21 and BTYahoo email addresses

Go to solution

@SeanD can you help?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @deano3693 I'm sorry about the problems sending email to BT users. Sean isn't around this evening but if you're following bulk mail senders best practice guidance and still getting the bounce back you'll need to get in touch with the postmaster via postmaster@btinternet.com 

0 Ratings
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

I've sent an email to Postmaster earlier today. We are following all best practice as far as i am aware and this has been confirmed by Capita who run the system. 

How long does the Postmaster usually take to get in contact?

Dean.

0 Ratings
lollett
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Dean,

I work for Cambridge LEA and manage 200+ Schools - 45 actively using SIMS inTouch.  We're in exactly the position with a lot of reports of bouncebacks from @btinternet.com email addresses.

Capita and BT are both deny its there problem, but ultimately BT are rejecting the messages from [DfE Number]@capita-intouch.co.uk for reason 5.3.0!

Things we have checked:

capita-intouch.co.uk isn't listed on any known email black lists

capita-intouch.co.uk SPF is correct with the IP addresses 104.47.2.65 (and yours 104.47.2.71) listed within the ip netblocks.

Note: BT don't actually seem to be checking SPF anyway as I can spoof emails from [DfE Number]@capita-intouch.co.uk to my [email address]@btinternet.com mailbox which do come through successfully!

We're pushing Capita for an answer, but if the BT postmast comes back to you with a reason why could you post it here!

Thanks,

Lee

0 Ratings
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Lee,

I am glad we are not the only one in this situation. I'll let you know if i hear back from the Postmaster. 

It is definitely a BT/Capita issue and one of them needs to step up and resolve this.

Regards,

Dean.

0 Ratings
lollett
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Dean,

I think I might have discovered something:

My test email client setup:

To: [myemail]@btinternet.com

Subject: Test

Body: Test

BT SMTP Server: mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net

(Obtained from bounce back message)

08/09/2017 13:18:38 Resolving hostname mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net.

08/09/2017 13:18:38 Connecting to 188.125.69.78.

08/09/2017 13:18:39 Connected.

08/09/2017 13:18:39 SMTP connection to mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net successful

08/09/2017 13:18:40 Encoding text

08/09/2017 13:18:40 ERROR: 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.  See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html.

Note: Message was not received……

BT SMTP Server: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

(Obtained from normal DNS MX record lookup)

08/09/2017 13:18:27 Resolving hostname mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk.

08/09/2017 13:18:27 Connecting to 65.20.0.49.

08/09/2017 13:18:27 Connected.

08/09/2017 13:18:27 SMTP connection to mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk successful

08/09/2017 13:18:28 Encoding text

08/09/2017 13:18:28 Disconnecting.

08/09/2017 13:18:28 SMTP disconnected from mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

08/09/2017 13:18:28 Disconnected.

08/09/2017 13:18:28 Message sent successfully.

Note: Message was successfully received!

Possible reasons:

1. Capita have a stale (cached DNS MX record for BT)

or

2. BT have a problem with server mx-bt.mail.am0.yahoodns.net

or

3. I've just got lucky and found a BT SMTP server not currently blocking bulk email

I'm passing this information over to Capita SupportNet ticket

Lee

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@lollett wrote:

Hi Dean,

@I work for Cambridge LEA and manage 200+ Schools - 45 actively using SIMS inTouch.  We're in exactly the position with a lot of reports of bouncebacks from @btinternet.com email addresses.

Capita and BT are both deny its there problem, but ultimately BT are rejecting the messages from [DfE Number]@capita-intouch.co.uk for reason 5.3.0!

Things we have checked:

capita-intouch.co.uk isn't listed on any known email black lists

capita-intouch.co.uk SPF is correct with the IP addresses 104.47.2.65 (and yours 104.47.2.71) listed within the ip netblocks.

Note: BT don't actually seem to be checking SPF anyway as I can spoof emails from [DfE Number]@capita-intouch.co.uk to my [email address]@btinternet.com mailbox which do come through successfully!

We're pushing Capita for an answer, but if the BT postmast comes back to you with a reason why could you post it here!

Thanks,

Lee

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The problem is solely at the door or BT.

Many people have reported this issue over the past few years, ever since BT moved some of their mail accounts to Openwave messaging and using their servers.

As there is still a lot of accounts with (BT)Yahoo, the migration was stopped a couple of years ago, there will be internal server handoffs.

I'm afraid that contacting the postmaster will be a waste of time. I'm sorry, but I have been saying this for months. Saying to contact them will NOT help. It affects many, and chances are many will not report the issue and frankly just assume that the mail accounts are not accessible (or ignore it).

The postmaster can't be contacted by the 10s of 1000s of list operators and other similar senders - it's simply not practical on an individual basis - the fault is a general one and it's time the BTMail team got to grips with this issue.

It's not an end user issue either.

The postmaster should have been investigating this for years - but it seems like nothing has been done.

deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Yes it would be nice for BT to step up and resolve this. We face the abuse from parents as they are not receiving emails and everyone else just blames someone else for the issue! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Unfortunately the BT mail team live in a perpetual state of denial.