cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vino
Message 1 of 8

Emails' closure

Hi everybody,

I've just receive the message of the emails' closure and I would like to keep my email address. But I'm having problems to fill the order to move to premium, as I had this email address through my brother when I was in England many years ago. Now I have no contact with my brother anymore, so I have no codes or numbers or else to identify the primary account.
I'm living in Egypt and I'm still use this address which is related to work and other connections.
Copying all the data it's quite difficult since I'm using it since 12 years ago!

I've tried to contact BT, but when I put my number in Egypt I can't proceed....How can I still keep my email address even I'm not living in England?

Thanks

Vino

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
richark2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Emails' closure

Unfortunately you can only upgrade from the primary account so, unless you can get the primary account holder to either upgrade or de-couple your account (not easy), you are well and truly stuffed.

The only solution to retain your old emails is to use an email client such as Firefox which will download all your old emails the first time you log on. However, unless you set btinternet up as an imap (as opposed to a pop3) server within Firefox, it will not download sub-folders or sent mail.

Hope this helps and that the situation in Egypt improves.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

I think you mean Thunderbird, not Firefox Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
richark2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Yes. Sorry. Too early in the morning!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

this phone number may also help you +44 179 359 6931
Jay-Tanna
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I am not sure if this applies to you but you could convert your account to a premium one by paying £1.60 per month.  It's worth a try.

The email you received must have stated this option.  Whether it applies to people resident in Egypt or outside UK is something I don't know but money is money so BT should accept from anywhere provided it is from a legitimate source.

0 Ratings
Jay-Tanna
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

@richark2 wrote:

The only solution to retain your old emails is to use an email client such as TB which will download all your old emails the first time you log on. However, unless you set btinternet up as an imap (as opposed to a pop3) server within TB, it will not download sub-folders or sent mail.

Hope this helps and that the situation in Egypt improves.

Have you got the server details handy to configure TB for BTopenworld and/or Talk21.com accounts.  I have got Yahoo server details but when I once tried it on BT accounts, it did not work. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Vino
Message 8 of 8

Dear all, thanks for the tips.

@ Keith, I clicked on the link but it came up a message to contact you. I've tried today at 20.56...57 Egyptian time...but because of the Ramadan in summertime, the time didn't switched and it's only one hour difference with England.

@ Jay-Tanna, 1 quid and 60 p it's not a problem at all! I just followed the instructions of the notice to upgrade and when I filled the order form I had to enter only the phone number in England....and I don't live in England anymore..........and I'm sorry but what is it TB?

Anyway, my email address is BT/Yahoo (yes Talk21.com), why it didn't work with Yahoo?

@ John46, thanks I guess call it's the only way to contact BT, just hope not to wait too long!

@ richark2, thanks a lot, I don't have Thuderbird, but I'll look into it. And thanks for the good thought for Egypt, we (foreigners and locals) are hoping that the situation will stabilize soon and we will back on business as before!

I'll keep you all posted as soon as possible

Thanks again and cheers

Vino

0 Ratings