cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Emails disappear on transfer to another folder; in a different folder - all deleted

I just transferred a few emails to a different folder. 2 of them have simply disappeared.

I checked another sub-folder in which I store emails on a certain subject. That has been completely emptied. And BTYahoo have the nerve to offer some crapy videos as compensation.

Another reason to quit this sub-standard email service.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Emails disappear on transfer to another folder; in a different folder - all deleted

@FloFosterJenkins

You could try using an email client rather than web mail.  I rarely use web mail, in fact haven't accessed it for some years.  I use DreamMail.  If you ever used Outlook Express then you'll get along fine with it.

DreamMail.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Re: Emails disappear on transfer to another folder; in a different folder - all deleted

If you don't mind me saying, Dreammail is an old programme and not updated. It doesn't handle imap and may have issues due to the age of it.

There are better products like Thunderbird and Claws Mail.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the replies. And apologies for not saying that this was using Thunderbird/IMAP.

I think I'll have to investigate again how to archive certain important email folders and all they contain, to guard against such apparently random deletions recurring.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

@FloFosterJenkins

There is an addon for Thunderbird called ImportExportTools, which does that.

Importing and exporting Thunderbird messages

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

One of the reasons I still use POP3 rather than IMAP, I don't trust anything left on a server!

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Thanks for the replies. And apologies for not saying that this was using Thunderbird/IMAP.

I think I'll have to investigate again how to archive certain important email folders and all they contain, to guard against such apparently random deletions recurring.

Hi.

It's actually quite easy to backup Thunderbird in its entirety, apart from that addon feature.

The TB main folder (on a PC win 7-10) is located at :-

C:\Users\[your windows user name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\

I simply use 7zip to compress the folder structure to a file, e.g. TB2017_12_04, and then copy that to an external drive. This I do on a regular basis. You could call it the same name each time, as long as you don't need to keep every single backup copy which will effecively have all the old data plus the newer stuff between the two dates.

It's easy then to transfer this to a another/new PC if needed.

Similarly if you use Firefox, the same thing applies - though it's in :-

C:\Users\[your windows user name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the further replies!

I assume, Andy, that you refer to an IMAP connection, and that such a backup is, in effect, a mirror of the emails and structure on the server at that moment. This looks like an excellent solution, although I'll investigate the ImportExportTools first.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Thanks for the further replies!

I assume, Andy, that you refer to an IMAP connection, and that such a backup is, in effect, a mirror of the emails and structure on the server at that moment. This looks like an excellent solution, although I'll investigate the ImportExportTools first.

The connection type is actually irrelevant, as the folder structure is an exact snapshot of all thunderbird accounts, settings, files, attachments etc as you've said.

Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the help, Andy. So, if I had executed such a backup, and the entire contents of one folder were suddenly deleted off the server, would I simply unzip the backup, open it in a separate manifestation of Thunderbird, and somehow reload the saved contents of the folder back into the current existing (empty) folder?

0 Ratings