Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveB58
Beginner
Message 51 of 259

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

@peterwa

I was advised this morning to use the 'Repair' option, under Account settings for my IMAP account in Outlook. So far, it seems to have worked. E-mails appear to be stable.

I've just tried this solution (again) and it unfortunately hasn't solved the problem for me. 

0 Ratings
Papageno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 259

Yes - in fact the last stable email message in my inbox is timed  09:43 on the 22nd.

Otherwise, problem remains.  Emails appear and I only have a few seconds to save them to desktop before they disappear again.

I do use Outlook as a client but  also have the same problem when I logged into BT webmail from same laptop.

0 Ratings
peterwa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 259

You are right - they are still going.....Grrr!

0 Ratings
bfcs
Beginner
Message 54 of 259

My understanding is if you close Outlook and just use webmail or your phone, tablet etc then it works OK. However as soon as you open Outlook then the emails disappear from the inbox in Outlook and when Outlook synchronises those emails also disappear from all other devices and webmail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Papageno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 259

I am using the same version of Outlook

0 Ratings
allymac
Beginner
Message 56 of 259

Andy, I am using same version of Outlook as Howard H. I have had disappearing email problem for 2 days since 22 Oct. Also using IMAP similar to other users. Reported this morning to BT 0800 111 4567. They took brief details and said would 'refer to Yahoo' who 'would contact me direct'. I will close and avoid Outlook for a while, using my laptop webmail also. 

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 57 of 259

What a mess this is. I have just checked this out on my other desktop computer which also has exactly the same version of Outlook (totally independent from the other PC) and no emails have been disappearing from the BT Yahoo IMAP inbox. Now this doesn't mean they would remain there safely, as I had a period of a few hours yesterday when everything seemed fine and then all the emails spontaneously disappeared. I will just have to regard the BT Yahoo IMAP service as seriously defective until someone in BT officially confirms the existence of the problem and its solution. 

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 259

I am now joining the ever growing line of people with fewer emails than they had a couple of days ago. After long, long conversations with Microsoft and my antivirus provider, they clued me into this problem being specifically between BT and Yahoo email when using IMAP. They suggested it may also be limited to those with BT Broadband! 'Niche' barely covers it. 

I have backed up my emails (exported from Outlook) so that at least I can play with it and not lose any more. 

My concern is that this isn't the first time. It may have affected a larger number of people than before, but how long will that be for? What happens next time? I have lost messages - just as we all have - and fear that those gone before my backup will not be coming back. 

So, is this scenario unique to BT/Yahoo or will I be just as frustrated if I move to Google Mail? I have used Yahoo since the mid-90s, so the thought of migrating and updating everything is daunting. Does anybody have negative experiences of other big email hosts? 

0 Ratings
Papageno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 259

Just spoke with BT help desk who confirmed massive Yahoo outages for several weeks, with  some servers back into action slowly...  It is expected our problems will not be solved for a couple of days.  Shall we recover lost emails:  who knows?    Am told BT staff as angry as we are since they also use the appalling Yahoo service.  

So basically we are still in the dark...  

I have stopped using Outlook and will report later on whether recent webmail accessed emails are still holding or not..

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 259

Are you suggesting that it may be the servers themselves which are losing the emails, and so they may go even if Outlook is t being used?? I was kind of hoping that if I rely on other email clients (such as Windows Mail and my phone) then things would stay put. Certainly I've had no problems using either of these methods so far. 

0 Ratings