Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 121 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

I'll add my pennyworth to the pot.

My emails have been vanishing, too, but under fairly specific circumstances.

(note: I have storeage files in which I store messages from several accounts, only one of which is a BT/Yahoo one)

Unread messages don't seem to disappear. Messages that are several down the list don't seem to disappear (especially if they are below a non BT/Yahoo one)

Messages mostly disappear from the inbox.

Messages tend to disappear as you move into inbox or a storage file, so that if you're quick you see them go.

Most common occurrence: Read an email in the inbox. Look at a message somewhere else in another folder. click back to the inbox - watch the topmost "read message" disappear.

It's about time BT accepted that the Yahoo system is **bleep** and migrated us all onto a viable system.

0 Ratings
Junep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 122 of 260

This has just started happening - this evening.  Every first email in the Inbox, and in ALL my folders disappears as soon as I open that folder.  I  have checked all folders - they are not in Trash or Spam.  This is absolutely disastrous - I have lost loads and loads of enquiries and work. I can't find them anywhere.  I have checked my settings.  I have no instructions to delete anything without my request.

I am using IMAP so this is simultaneously happening in Microsoft Outlook and BT Mail.  

Please help.  

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 123 of 260

@Junepwrote:

I am using IMAP so this is simultaneously happening in Microsoft Outlook and BT Mail.  

Please can you confirm if you're on BTYahoo or BTMail. Login to webmail :-

https://www.bt.com/mail

and if it says Yahoo top left, you're BTYahoo.

This is a Yahoo fault, so will not affect BT Mail users.

Simply stop using Outlook for now.

0 Ratings
Junep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 124 of 260

OK.  That's fine for BT Mail users !  I am on BT Yahoo!  Does anyone have any idea how long this is going to on on for - my business will suffer soon.  

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 125 of 260

@AngusKwrote:

You will also notice that my message about the mail servers was to a different user, not as a general 'solution' to everybody (it doesn't make any difference anyway - my e-mails still disappear).

Angus

However, that solution should not be used by anyone. It should only be tried as a temporary measure. If Yahoo servers are used, BT  may not recognise that the account has actually been accessed - leading to possible account deletion for non use.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 126 of 260

@Junepwrote:

OK.  That's fine for BT Mail users !  I am on BT Yahoo!  Does anyone have any idea how long this is going to on on for - my business will suffer soon.  

Hi again - I wanted to confirm you were on BTYahoo as you initially mentioned BT Mail. It may sound pedantic, but in this case it is totally relevant.

For the time being, stop using Outlook.

If you need to open Outlook for any reason, stop your internet connection from your computer first.

Try setting up a different client for the time being, e.g. BlueMail or Thunderbird for your BTinternet email address.

0 Ratings
Melaka
Beginner
Message 127 of 260

BT is my ISP but Yahoo is the email client I use.  I've found that if I move an email from the inbox to another folder as soon as it arrives it seems to survive.  Apart from that every email I've received today and one that I have sent have completely disappeared.  I also have a btinternet email and that does not seem to have been affected.  The problems started yesterday but have been much worse today.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 128 of 260

@Melakawrote:

BT is my ISP but Yahoo is the email client I use.  I've found that if I move an email from the inbox to another folder as soon as it arrives it seems to survive.  Apart from that every email I've received today and one that I have sent have completely disappeared.  I also have a btinternet email and that does not seem to have been affected.  The problems started yesterday but have been much worse today.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

If you're using the Yahoo client, what servers are set up for the BTinternet account? If they are Yahoo, this needs to change to the correct ones - otherwise BT may not recognise that the account has been accessed and deleted.

What emails were disappearing? It's not clear if you're referring to a different account than the BTinternet email address.

Are you using Outlook at all? E.g. the app?

The issue doesn't appear to have affected every email address for users of Outlook, but that's not to say it may not do so.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 129 of 260

@Junep wrote:

I can't believe you are trying to run a business on a consumer grade residential email service instead of a proper business email with an SLA!

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 130 of 260

It was no solution! It made no difference at all!!
0 Ratings