cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 141 of 259

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

Exactly the same happened this afternoon.  Watched them disappear.  Same happened on multiple   

open email accounts in outlook set up with imap.

Checked on webmail for same accounts and same lost emails.  This is unacceptable considering this is happening to many customers over several days looking at this community site.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 142 of 259

@licquoricewrote:

<<I can't believe you are trying to run a business on a consumer grade residential email service instead of a proper business email with an SLA!>>

That comment is out of order.

You may have the time to be a "distinguished sage", but most people just assume that if they buy a service from a reputable business like BT then they will get a decent product with decent customer service.

I, for example, don't run my business through my btinternet account, but I have plenty of people who know me through work and private life and use the "wrong" email address to send me messages that I can't afford to have disappear just because BT can't be bothered to run a decent service.

And, no, it is not reasonable to expect people to realise that it's a free add-on to an expensive bill for something else. That's like taking a car back to the dealer and being told that the gearbox isn't covered by the warranty because it's a free add-on to the rest of the car.

If the email wasn't going to be properly supported, then the service was every bit as knowingly mis-sold as any PPI that anyone else ever bought. It's a package.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 143 of 259

I have an xxxx@btinternet.com IMAP account and am devasted by the loss of emails as I do practically everything by email.

Is it possible to set up another account using the same address but as a POP? I wanted to check before messing up the situation even more than it is 🙂

Anyone got a definitive prognosis from BT as to when this might be sorted? There's been countless glitches with having a btinternet account over the years but I've stuck with them rather than change long running addresses, but this one really takes the proverbial biscuit (to put it very mildly!)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 144 of 259

@ Stesha

Yes, you can set up an account using POP and I have been using POP to access my BTYahoo mail for 48 hrs without losing a single email. The settings you need are in this excellent post  https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/I-need-help-setting-up-my-BT-email-Advice/td-p/1718052

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 145 of 259

@ Stesha

I should have added it is essential you stop Outlook connecting via IMAP to BTYahoo mail until this problem is definitively fixed. I posted earlier in this thread how I managed to do that in my Outlook without deleting the account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 146 of 259

Thanks.  I have stopped accessing Microsoft Outlook for email and using Webmail via BT direct.  There seem to be some emails arriving but what I lost yesterday from Inbox and other folders that I accessed yesterday has still to reappear,if it ever does.  I have put a 'Vacation' message up with alternative means of contacting me.  I will start to find out how to move from BTinternet - this is the second major problem in less than 6 months.   Thanks to everyone who is of support in this crisis.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 147 of 259

I see Microsoft has updated various components of Office this morning and my Outlook is now Version 1909 Build 12026.20344 - it was previously Version 1909 Build 12026.20334 Click-to-Run  And no, I do not intend checking if this now means Outlook can be safely run using IMAP with BTYahoo mail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 148 of 259

I also thought I was going mad and spent HOURS yesterday trying to solve this problem.  I lost an email containing travel documents which luckily I  forwarded to a friend because I noticed emails were disappearing. 

I phoned BT this morning and was just left in a queue and then cut off.

I entered into a web chat with someone who gave me a link to Yahoo to restore the emails.  There was no acknowledgement of a fault on BT's side but having read these comments, something must have gone very wrong. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 149 of 259

Yesterday we also noticed the same problem.  We are not sure when the issue started, it was only when important emails started disappearing, that the matter was brought to our attention.  There are now 15 pages on this thread and I do not have time to read every single post, so has anyone had a definitive answer to the problem and has been reassured that the missing emails will be restored at some point?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 150 of 259

@BorderReiver

Current satiation: Stop using 1) IMAP (disable it in Send/Receive groups), 2) Use an alternative method of accessing your e-mail (webmail, set up POP3, etc. … just don't use Outlook IMAP)

Engineers are still working on it (just confirmed by Yahoo Customer Services), but *all* deleted e-mails *should* reappear.  No idea on timescales yet, but it is obviously a significant issue given the duration of the outage.

0 Ratings