cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OrganistDave
Beginner
Message 151 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

So have I - this one was apparently also showing my email address. I accept it's not the cause of the problem in this thread though.
0 Ratings
SteveJ1
Beginner
Message 152 of 260

All

I have spoken with BT on this issue for the 2nd time in 2 days as it has not been resolved.  BT's response is that it is being looked at but they are giving themselves 3-5 days to sort it out.  They claim that it is a Yahoo issue (if so, this is the 2nd major Yahoo failure in the past couple of months).  I directed the person I spoke to to this thread and it is being passed on to the technical team along with a suggestion from myself that someone from BT posts updates here.

Please can I urge everyone who is experiencing disappearing e-mails to telephone BT and raise complaints.  The freephone number to use is 0800 800 150.  Please do it, the more complaints that BT receive the more likely the issue is to be resolved quickly.

We are all paying BT to provide a service, they are not.  It is up to them to resolve, we cannot individually despite what some of the self-styled gurus on here may be alluding to.  Our only power is to complain.

tonysussex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 153 of 260

Response from BT Chat (Saturday 26 Oct 11am) in response to my query about missing emails.

"Hi yes, we're aware of that and have out best email engineers working on it already this has been going on since Wednesday for a few of our customers and gradually a lot of people are getting affected by it, we're trying super super hard to get this resolved by today, we've already escalated this to our yahoo and their hierarchy. we really do appreciate your cooperation on this."

I'm disappointed that BT seem to have no notification about this big email problem on their web site. BT customers have just been left in the dark, not knowing what is going on or whether their PC or Outlook may be at fault or what they should do or, indeed, whether they will ever get back their deleted emails.

0 Ratings
StenoJean
Beginner
Message 154 of 260

Yes, this random disappearing emails phenomenon struck my BT and Outlook inbox yesterday evening around 7pm. My question:  Is there a solution yet and have I lost the messages for all time?

I have Microsoft 365.  My partner opened an email in the Inbox, read out the contents to me, closed it again, and then saw the email disappear off the screen.  He checked the Spam, Bulk Email and Trash folders, but it was gone.

A few minutes later more messages from yesterday had disappeared from the Outlook and BT Inbox.  I had seen the odd one disappear from Outlook on Wednesday and Thursday, but I thought I was imagining things.

I checked again later in the evening, but haven't dared to log in since.  I've now lost all emails received yesterday, around 20-25 messages, apart from one. Not sure yet if my Sent items or other folders are affected in Outlook or BT.    I did a big email tidy-up yesterday afternoon on Outlook, paring down my Inbox from 350 to about 80 messages, putting in folders etc.  Not sure if they've all disappeared either.  I can't change my BT vacation response message without logging in to my BT email.  Sorry if this is rambling, but trying to give detail in case it helps.

I've tried ringing BT but I got fed up with their music selection after I had been on hold for around 8 minutes.  Haven't reported this yet to Microsoft.  I think I need to build myself up to it -and I have better things to do with my weekend...  It's reassuring to know others are having the same issue, though, so I'm not alone.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Jerry1
Beginner
Message 155 of 260

If people have not already done so I'd advise making a formal complaint to BT -https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html.  It won't achieve any immediate result, but if the response is unsatisfactory it is the first step towards taking the matter up with the communication's regulator Ofcom - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/home.  The loss of emails may also raise some issues that may interest the Information Commissioner - https://ico.org.uk/

Keith_of_Kent
Beginner
Message 156 of 260

I have set up a new POP account in Outlook on my laptop and that seems to work OK but as soon as I look at the IMAP account everything disappears again. Stay away from IMAP.

Outlook on my Samsung phone also still works OK.

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 157 of 260

Thanks AngusK. I forgot to add that my wife also receives the emails on her phone - and they disappeared from there too. Since the phone seems to always receive emails unless it is physically switched off, is there a way of avoiding the problem?
0 Ratings
Earlybird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 158 of 260

Anyone know if MS Mail has same problem as Outlook2016?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 159 of 260

HolmPC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 160 of 260

BorderReiver: Yes, stop using outlook. Close it on any pc it's running on. When outlook checks for messages it deletes them from the server, which is why they are then going from the phone. If outlook is not running anywhere connected to the account, the messages shouldn't disappear.