cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterwa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 161 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

At last! Someone in BT taking this seriously....

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 162 of 260

Thanks.
0 Ratings
EdwardSoul
Beginner
Message 163 of 260

I have switched from Outlook on Office 365 to MS Mail which comes with Windows 10 until this problem is solved. I have had no problems with MS Mail. Both myself and my wife have lost many messages since yesterday, but I need to get myself in to the right frame of mind to call BT to report and complain about the problem.

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 164 of 260

@BorderReiver 

As @HolmPC said, stop using Outlook.  Specifically stop using IMAP on desktop Outlook.  If you have only a single e-mail address on Outlook then yes, just stop using it.  If you have multiple e-mail addresses on Outlook then you will need to remove the BT Yahoo address from the Send/Receive group so it is not automatically checked periodically.  It is this checking which triggers the loss (roughly).  Because IMAP synchronises changes back to the e-mail server, any other device which connects to the same e-mail address will see the 'update' (aka unintended removal) of the list of e-mails and so you will 'lose' them from those devices too.

Options are to use something like the Windows 10 Mail app, which doesn't seem to have any problems.  I am not aware of this being a problem with the phone app version of Outlook (perhaps somebody can correct me if this is the case), so you can continue as normal with devices other than desktop Outlook.

There is hope on the horizon, however.  According to BT and Yahoo, all the lost e-mails should reappear when this issue is resolved.

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 165 of 260

UPDATE FROM BT SUPPORT - EXPECT A FIX BY 7/8 NOVEMBER

Here's an interesting twist which I'd love to hear from people who are affected by all this.  The problems we are all facing is specifically located at the Yahoo e-mail servers.  Obviously this affects those with …@yahoo.co.uk e-mail addresses (like me), but according to the BT Support Engineer I was just speaking with the *only* BT customers (with …@btinternet.com' addresses, for example) who should be affected are those who are still to be migrated from the Yahoo servers.

BT ended its contract with Yahoo in 2015 and they have been migrating BT e-mail accounts over to dedicated BT servers since then.  However, the job is not complete and there are still some people who set up their BT addresses years ago who are yet to be migrated.  Apparently it is only *those* accounts which are affected.

Is there anybody reading this who is having problems with an e-mail account which has been set up since 2015?

As a parting shot he said that the latest he had received from the Yahoo techs working on this is that they should have it fixed by 7/8 November, but that ALL lost e-mails will be restored since they are safe on a backup server.

A new BT e-mail account will create a new mailbox on the BT servers (not the Yahoo ones). The suggestion from the support chap was to set up a redirection within the Yahoo webmail 'Settings' section and just forget about the old account.  Yahoo has seen very little investment in servers, etc. for many years now and he predicted only more problems down the line.  Perhaps be was just being a loyal BT employee, but I have to say a lot of what I heard did ring true.

OrganistDave
Beginner
Message 166 of 260

7th - 8th  November - that's hardly a "quick-fix".  I've been using the usual methods of email checking this morning (Chrome and Outlook), without having changed any settings, and no more seem to have disappeared - I've given them time, and they seem to be staying put.  (These are Group messages that I usually delete anyway.)  However, I'm still dragging my "I want to keep" messages into another folder on Outlook - one that doesn't synchronise), just to be sure.  None of my missing ones have reappeared yet.  However this pans out, it's obviously time to seriously reconsider which email system that I use is the best - and BT/Yahoo is slipping down my list of choices.  I stopped using BT as ISP some years ago, was able to keep the email address, freely at first, but now for £7.50 a month.  I guess it may not be worth it any more!

0 Ratings
Jerry1
Beginner
Message 167 of 260

Thanks AngusK for the background info.  We've had our BT email account since 2006; it seems our loyalty is being rewarded by being left at the back of the queue, in resolving a problem  of which BT fully aware.  In contrast to the date of 7/8 November suggested to you, the status page says the issue will be resolved in two hours! 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 168 of 260

@AngusK  Please stop posting erroneous information. The migration from BTYahoo to BTMail was permanently stopped in 2015 for unexplained reasons, there are still many thousands of customers still on the BTYahoo system (myself included).  Any customers still on the BTYahoo system that create a new email address will still create it on the Yahoo servers. It is only new BT customer's addresses that will be created on BTMail servers.

As the problem has been identified as a Yahoo problem, it is obvious that those on the BTmail system will not experience it.

Rhenman
Beginner
Message 169 of 260

I received exactly the same response (dejavu all over again) to my chat enquiry. Must have the answer in a macro for this problem/preprogrammed into the AI program responding to chat. I was promised 24Hrs. I asked that the Chat communication was sent to my email (providing it isn't further deleted) for my reference. Also asked that they posted an alert on the BT website when logging on so that everyone can see that there is a problem. Sky having same problems with the yahoo behind all these email systems.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 170 of 260

@AngusK wrote:

UPDATE FROM BT SUPPORT - EXPECT A FIX BY 7/8 NOVEMBER

Here's an interesting twist which I'd love to hear from people who are affected by all this.  The problems we are all facing is specifically located at the Yahoo e-mail servers.  Obviously this affects those with …@yahoo.co.uk e-mail addresses (like me), but according to the BT Support Engineer I was just speaking with the *only* BT customers (with …@btinternet.com' addresses, for example) All BT email accounts whether BTYahoo or BTMail are @btinternet email addreses. It is only those still on the BTYahoo email system who are affected! who should be affected are those who are still to be migrated from the Yahoo servers.

BT ended its contract with Yahoo in 2015 and they have been migrating BT e-mail accounts over to dedicated BT servers since then.  No they have not. The migration stopped and that was the end of it. Any person becoming a new BT broadband customer, not a returning customer from the date the migration stopped was/is placed onto the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system.However, the job is not complete and there are still some people who set up their BT addresses years ago who are yet to be migrated.  Apparently it is only *those* accounts which are affected. At present there is no ongoing migration so that statement is not correct.

Is there anybody reading this who is having problems with an e-mail account which has been set up since 2015? There are no new BTYaoo accounts set up after 2015.

As a parting shot he said that the latest he had received from the Yahoo techs working on this is that they should have it fixed by 7/8 November, but that ALL lost e-mails will be restored since they are safe on a backup server.

A new BT e-mail account will create a new mailbox on the BT servers (not the Yahoo ones). The suggestion from the support chap was to set up a redirection within the Yahoo webmail 'Settings' section and just forget about the old account.  Yahoo has seen very little investment in servers, etc. for many years now and he predicted only more problems down the line.  Perhaps be was just being a loyal BT employee, but I have to say a lot of what I heard did ring true. You can set up a new email account if you want but you can not use the same email address and at present it will be a BTYahoo email account and not a BTMaill account if you are a BTYahoo account holder.

AngusK.

If you don't have a BTYahoo email account, what is the source of your incorrect information

0 Ratings