cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OrganistDave
Beginner
Message 171 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

Can anyone suggest a better email system - I have a gmail address already?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 172 of 260

@OrganistDave wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better email system - I have a gmail address already?

So why are you asking. Just use that.

OrganistDave
Beginner
Message 173 of 260

I'm asking for two reasons - one is that I was loathe to discard my long-held email address, and secondly to see if anyone has any history of problems with gmail, lest I leap from frying pan to fire?!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 174 of 260

No mail system is perfect, however, millions of people use Gmail with no problems. No need to discard your BT address if you don't wish to, just forward the mails to your Gmail address, that will also overcome the current problem.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 175 of 260

You should ask on the gmail forum if there is one and you don't need to discard your long held email address, just accept that things can go wrong and have a back up plan. ie forward or fetch your BT emails to your gmail account.

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 176 of 260

Reading through posts in the corresponding threads about this problem in the AT&T and Sky support forums, it is disarming to discover BT is by no means the worst at keeping its customers informed as to what is happening. It seems large communications companies are not very good at communicating with their customers .. unless, of course, they are trying to sell them something.

For what it is worth, I read nothing in either of these other forums which has not been anticipated and critically examined in this forum.

0 Ratings
RevDave
Contributor
Message 177 of 260

I have had Bt-Yahoo @btinternet.com email addresses since way back to 2006 at least! I concur with and support Licquorice's statement that BT suspended the migration to BT servers ages ago and so my addresses are still on BT-Y. They even survived intact for a few years when I wasn't even a BT customer! They now appear on my 'My-BT' account as a separate set of (up to) 10 email addresses as BT finally (10 years on) caught up with me. However, they are NOT MIGRATED and it's not possible to set up a redirection on these accounts now. If they had one set up historically, that is still set, but the moment you cancel the redirection you can't set it up again. I'm sure it's a way of encouraging people to stop using them. my conjecture, not fact please understand, is tat BT totally underestimated the scale of the migration and quietly dropped it. Officially it's still 'temporarily suspended' and no BT help-liner will be drawn on suggesting when it might happen.

it seems I have got off lightly so far - I've only lost a few emails and still getting everything through without a problem now using Outlook 365. But I still don't have the lost emails back.

incidentally, (fact) the BT incident page

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/view/Email+&+Hosting/

said that they expected a resolution in 2 hours - that was 4 hours ago now... it still says 2 hours...

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 178 of 260

Use the BTYahoo basic view and you can set up forwarding.

As regards the two hours fix time, it never stated from when 😀

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 179 of 260

@RevDave  Yes you can still forward mails on the BTYahoo system. You need to use the 'basic mail'  version of webmail, however.  Go to 'settings' > 'more settings' > switch to basic mail and thence select 'settings' and click on 'Go'.

0 Ratings
RevDave
Contributor
Message 180 of 260

thanks L. I'll try it out sometime.
0 Ratings