cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plasticfree
Aspiring Contributor
Message 181 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

Apologies if an earlier post covers following advice.

BT have just called in response to my logging the problem. The problem began on Tuesday 22nd Oct when as we know BT Yahoo mail suffered an outage. They say Yahoo and Microsoft engineers are working on the issue which is related to syncrhonisation. 

For me I found that only those mails that I opened in Outlook disappeared. If I replied on opening the mail then the original inbox mail disappeared but was shown as part of the thread.

Opening mails in BT Yahoo Mail  or in Mail on Apple products prevents the mail from being deleted in Outlook. 

As a back up I created a dummy inbox and autoforwarded all mails to that and none were deleted from that folder.

Hope this helps but the more of us that post perhaps the more pressure it puts on BT to fix quickly.

0 Ratings
RevDave
Contributor
Message 182 of 260

the date of the post was 11:06 - but which timezone I don't know!!
0 Ratings
martroe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 183 of 260

Had a call back from BT just now after I logged my issue a couple of days ago. I was told loads of people were having the problem and that they were working on it. (No s**t Sherlock)!

I was told that for some people dragging the email from outlook to another folder seems to work but has to be done before opening the email.

She told me they had engineers working on it and that someone would get back to me on Friday, so 6 days from now.

I had to delete Outlook from my iPhone because I just could not stop it connecting. I stripped out all the account details and passwords several times but it just kept sorting itself out and connecting so I had to delete it to make sure it wasn't adding to my problems.  I am just using webmail now.

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 184 of 260

@licquorice

The information I have posted has been done so in good faith based upon what I have been told by BT email support over the phone. If you know different then so be it, and I totally accept that there it a chance I was being fed rubbish. Like I said, I am posting in good faith. Regarding the migration process I was told it was still ongoing and that it was due to be completed by the end of the year. Do you have insider knowledge (such as being a BT email support person yourself) to justify why you believe the information which I have received is dubious? 

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 185 of 260

@gg30340  The source of my information is a telephone conversation I had with BT email support. If it is incorrect then it is a shame he told it to me. I posted here in good faith. 

0 Ratings
SteveB58
Beginner
Message 186 of 260

I may be tempting fate here... but the problem of emails disappearing from Outlook 2016 that I first noted on the morning of the 22nd and which subsequently affected my wife's account yesterday seems to have stopped within the last hour or so. No sign of any missing emails reappearing however.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 187 of 260

@AngusK wrote:

@licquorice

The information I have posted has been done so in good faith based upon what I have been told by BT email support over the phone. If you know different then so be it, and I totally accept that there it a chance I was being fed rubbish. Like I said, I am posting in good faith. Regarding the migration process I was told it was still ongoing and that it was due to be completed by the end of the year. Do you have insider knowledge (such as being a BT email support person yourself) to justify why you believe the information which I have received is dubious? 

@AngusK  I appreciate that your posts are made in good faith but I can assure you the migration was stopped in 2015 and has never recommenced. The 'helpdesk' are notorious for giving out totally false information but despite constantly being told they still persist in talking rubbish. As a newcomer to the forum you are probably not aware of the history and trust that the helpdesk's comments are factual.

The BT mods have posted on countless threads that the migration has stopped.

AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 188 of 260

@licquorice Noted. Any recommendations for how one can tell if the information being given is correct or not? I do still have the text from BT asking for feedback about this chap's performance during the support call. Seems a good place to mention the erroneous information. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 189 of 260

If you were aware of some of the drivel they have spouted that has been quoted on the forum over the years, I'm afraid I would be very sceptical of anything they said.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 190 of 260

@AngusKwrote:

There are a few forum regulars like myself who have been around quite a long time. Migration from BTYahoo (which were every single btinternet email address) started in March 2014, and was permanently stopped in September 2014. BT have never given a reason. They get aggresive and defensive is asked about it. I was told there were probable commercial decisions involved. Despite that, BT have had two mail suppliers since then.

At the time, the new mail supplier had a possible dodgy past, and has actually changed "hands" a couple of times since then.

BT mail support seem to tell people different things at different times because they do not know what they are talking about. Many people have been told that the migration is ongoing - but it is not.

You were told rubbish.

Nothing gets done about erroneous and guesswork by the mail teams.

0 Ratings