Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 191 of 260

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

Andy, yet again you use the words "They get aggressive and defensive". Who is "they" and in what way do "they" get aggressive?  

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 192 of 260

@AngusK wrote:

@gg30340  The source of my information is a telephone conversation I had with BT email support. If it is incorrect then it is a shame he told it to me. I posted here in good faith. 

I won't repost or add to what others have said in response to the above.

Can you elaborate more on why if you are not a BTYahoo email account holder you contacted BT and if possible why BT responded to help you if you are not a customer?

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 193 of 260

@gg30340wrote:

Andy, yet again you use the words "They get aggressive and defensive". Who is "they" and in what way do "they" get aggressive?  

I questioned it years ago, and had someone from BT technical complaints contact me about it and "told me" not to ask again. They mentioned business sensitive information and would not get into any discussion about it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 194 of 260

It may be that one person did not respond as you wished but I still don't see how it is "they" and how it is "aggresive". 

0 Ratings
AngusK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 195 of 260

@gg30340 Internet research about the problems led me to this forum based upon the problems being largely caused by the Yahoo servers. I am still a BT customer as well, so I felt justified in asking them for support. I was unaware that BT and Yahoo had parted company at that time, but it seems they still have at least some customers will accounts hosted on Yahoo servers (as many others have confirmed). I may not have a specific BT email address which I use, but I do have one, and since the problems are affecting Yahoo customers as well I am here trying to find a solution. Since the best guess to that solution is just to sit tight, that is now also what I am doing. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 196 of 260

That's fine, I was just curious why you are here and not on a Yahoo forum and why BT would try to assist you if you do not have a BT email account that is affected by this problem.

You are correct that the best advice is as has already been posted and that is to sit tight until BT through Yahoo get it resolved.

0 Ratings
MartinS1
Beginner
Message 197 of 260

Emails disappearing from inbox

Here is my experience, which is not much different to anyone else’s.

I’m using Outlook 365 with a btinternet email account, running with IMAP.  It’s been fine for years.

Problem started yesterday (Friday 25th) or maybe day before.  Current emails that I had seen flash by on my phone (gmail) were suddenly no longer available anywhere in the Outlook folders or even on the web-server.  Mails that had just been sent to me disappeared from my Inboxes.

I could actually see emails disappearing from my Inbox as I watched.  Scary !!

I agree with the diagnosis (earlier in this thread) that new mails disappear from the Inbox (including from the web-server) when Outlook is sync-ing with the web-server.  They are not moved to Deleted or Trash or Bulk – they just disappear completely !!

As of today (36 hours later) the disappeared emails have not re-appeared.

The work-around (as suggested in this forum) seems to be to do all emailing directly to/from the web-server.  If access to local Outlook folders is required, then disconnect the PC from the network (so that Outlook cannot sync).  This is clearly not an acceptable long-term solution.

I phoned the BT Customer Support Desk (as suggested earlier in this thread) to add my weight to the list of BT customers whose reliance on Outlook was being hugely disrupted.  The guy on the line, though perfectly pleasant, had no idea that a problem existed or what the solution was (though he promised to ‘escalate’ the issue - I believe that !!).  He sent me a quite useless document on settings for BT email servers, and then closed the complaint.  Unhelpful, or what.

I will use this forum to monitor what progress to resolution is being made since it’s obvious that I cannot rely on BT or Yahoo to do so.

0 Ratings
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 198 of 260

I have just installed an update from Office365 and since then (which could be coincidence), my email inbox now seems to be holding steady.

New emails do not appear, as yet, to be disappearing once read as they did previously.

The missing emails have not come back, however...

Will leave it a bit longer and see what happens...

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 199 of 260

@ GeorgeBowyer

Which version of Outlook are you now using, George?

0 Ratings
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 200 of 260

Outlook for Office 360 MSO (16.01.12026.20334) 32 bit

Version 1909 

0 Ratings