cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 221 of 259

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

I'm pleased to be able to report that my BT email accounts in Outlook have returned to normal and that all the emails that  disappeared have been returned.

Naturally, I'm very pleased that the BY\Yahoo systems proved to be robust enough to allow the deleted emails to be recovered and returned, but I'm cross with BT because of the way they handled the issue.  Information to its customers about the email problem was late, minimal and unhelpful, and what there was seemed to have been given only begrudgingly.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 222 of 259

...... and also, everyone was being told something different!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 223 of 259

thought for consideration:   demand that the Regulator impose a fine on service providers who fail to warn customers and services users in good time when they know there is a major issue which won't be fixed in 24 hours.  Given the Yahoo outages experienced in the US and UK  [and possibly elsewhere] in early September, BT, Sky and other have no excuse for having let us suffer in the dark for so long.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 224 of 259

Yes at least 6 of mine have 'disappeared' in the last few days - surprisingly most seem to have returmned. Had a similar experience with one important email at the end of September, so the problem has been on-going.

What is BT doing about it, apart from treating us like the proverbial 'mushrooms'?

Has anyone been in touch with BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 225 of 259

@Papageno wrote:

thought for consideration:   demand that the Regulator impose a fine on service providers who fail to warn customers and services users in good time when they know there is a major issue which won't be fixed in 24 hours.  Given the Yahoo outages experienced in the US and UK  [and possibly elsewhere] in early September, BT, Sky and other have no excuse for having let us suffer in the dark for so long.

Not with standing that email services should be secure and work, here is a thought for consideration that is not beyond possability about your idea. Due to ISPs being liable to fines for failing to warn customers and service users in good time, what ever that means, is it in an hour,twenty four hours or what, that the ISPs decide it is no longer viable to provide an email service with their broadband package and other free email companies such as Yahoo and Google decide it is no longer viable to provide it free and will now levy a charge for their service thus users of both types of email users have to pay for an email service.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 226 of 259

Does the green box saying Resolved Issues imply they have fixed it?????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 227 of 259

Does the green box saying Resolved Issues imply they have fixed it?????

I had a return phone call from BT stating that the engineers were working on it and had began to restore deleted emails.  However, when prompted with the question of whether it was safe to start using Outlook again, I was told not for a day or two.   When I was asked if they could close the ticket, I said "not until I know that I can use Outlook again".  So, hopefully, that may prompt them to call back and confirm it is safe.

So I would say, "No, I don't believe that it is fully resolved yet".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 228 of 259

Following on from my post on the Hub on Saturday, I received an email from BT in answer to my complaint on Saturday to say they would get back to me within 7 days.  In the meantime, I received a phone call from BT last night in response to my complaint, asking what the complaint was about.  I mentioned disappearing emails and he seemed familiar with the topic, if not the detail. 

Having seen later reports in the Community Hub from late Sunday afternoon to say things were looking up, I had logged in to my BT internet account and from a cursory glance the missing emails were back.  I reported that to the BT guy on the phone, although I pointed out a couple of times that I hadn't checked Outlook yet.  The conversation finished with me saying things seemed okay, but I couldn't say for sure until I had gone back into my folders and logged in to Outlook.

I took a deep breath and logged in to Outlook this morning (Monday) and it asked me to go in using Safe Mode, which I did.  The emails were there again in the Inbox, but so were all the 350-odd emails I had deleted from my Inbox on Friday, so it's possibly not quite up and running to where I was before things went awry on Friday.  I will stay off Outlook for a bit longer and just work through the BT internet address, although unfortunately the BT inbox now has all the previously deleted emails back in there as well, as Outlook synchronised with BT again.  I can only hope that, by some miracle, things may change and get properly back to normal during today. 

I'm trying to think calm, rational thoughts.  One positive is that at least there are messages back in the Inbox, but just not necessarily all the ones that I wanted!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 229 of 259

@gg30340 

<<Not with standing that email services should be secure and work, here is a thought for consideration that is not beyond possibility about your idea. Due to ISPs being liable to fines for failing to warn customers and service users in good time, what ever that means, is it in an hour, twenty four hours or what, that the ISPs decide it is no longer viable to provide an email service with their broadband package and other free email companies such as Yahoo and Google decide it is no longer viable to provide it free and will now levy a charge for their service thus users of both types of email users have to pay for an email service.>>

I would be prepared to pay for an email service - and, indeed, I do with my business accounts.

As for BT, I reject the idea that this is a "free add-on". I bought a package from BT, for which I pay a great deal of money, and the e-mail service was part of that package. Pretending it's free is a cop-out to avoid responsibility.

I would, however, if anyone from BT is listening, be prepared to pay to have my account migrated from useless Yahoo facility to something that actually works...

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 230 of 259

@GeorgeBowyer wrote:

@gg30340 

<<Not with standing that email services should be secure and work, here is a thought for consideration that is not beyond possibility about your idea. Due to ISPs being liable to fines for failing to warn customers and service users in good time, what ever that means, is it in an hour, twenty four hours or what, that the ISPs decide it is no longer viable to provide an email service with their broadband package and other free email companies such as Yahoo and Google decide it is no longer viable to provide it free and will now levy a charge for their service thus users of both types of email users have to pay for an email service.>>

I would be prepared to pay for an email service  but not everybody would - and, indeed, I do with my business accounts. I may be wrong but that would infer you have your own domain with a business SLA so why not set up and use that as your personal email account and stop using a residential service with its much lower SLA. It might take a bit of effort on your part to inform your contacts etc but you will only need to do it once and it will have the added bonus that you are not tied to any ISP just because of your email address.

As for BT, I reject the idea that this is a "free add-on". I bought a package from BT, for which I pay a great deal of money, and the e-mail service was part of that package. Pretending it's free is a cop-out to avoid responsibility. Reject it if you want but as far as I am aware Ofcom agree it is a "free add on".

I would, however, if anyone from BT is listening, be prepared to pay to have my account migrated from useless Yahoo facility to something that actually works... unfortunately you can not do that but you can do as I suggested above.

0 Ratings