cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 1 of 242

Emails disappearing from inbox

Today I am having emails seemingly randomly disappearing from my inbox. As I am using imap, they simultaneously disappear from Outlook and my iphone (and web interface) as well.

I have looked in all the usual placed (SPAM, JUNK etc) and I have no rules set up, it just seems random for the most recently received emails. They are nowhere to be found!

This is becoming a real problem, anyone else experiencing it please

Thanks

0 Ratings
241 REPLIES 241
peterwa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 242

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

The same thing is happening to me.
0 Ratings
Papageno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 242

incoming emails open and then just disappear

this is the second day I am experiencing  the following problems: new emails appear in inbox, can be opened and sved, and then just disappear.  This has been happening since Tuesday morning.   Please advise how I can retrieve my lost emails.  And when problem will be fixed.

0 Ratings
AnthonyL66
Message 4 of 242

I'm experiencing the same problem too, it started yesterday (22/10/19). I can open them when they arrive in my inbox but once closed again they suddenly disappear. Checked all other locations for see if they've been moved to another folder e.g. junk, spam or deleted but no they've gone. To get by I'm going to create a folder called inbox 2 and move them there as soon as they arrive. Hopefully the moderators will pick this up and look into it for us. Cheers.

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 5 of 242

Aha, that is a strange way, is great to hear, as I thought I was going mad, but if its not only me, seems like BT have a problem. I will raise this now formally with them.

I have gone through the same process as you, and move files as soon as I see them to another folder, but am concerned that some are being deleted without me seeing them and of course will never know!!

I have searched across all my email folders but they have well and truly gone and checked that some strange rule has not been created, but nothing.

Hope they sort it soon

Thanks for replying or I was considering reinstalling my email clients and accounts!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 242

@funkyjunkywrote:

Thanks for replying or I was considering reinstalling my email clients and accounts!!

There have been other similar reports over the years, with a few saying that the emails have reappeared after a few days.

You say you've got "email clients", I assume these are all set to leave messages on the server or set as IMAP etc? How many do you use, and are they all set to auto-check for emails every few minutes etc? No settings changes?

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 7 of 242

Just to note the same problem has just occured in my Outlook IMAP inbox (BT Yahoo) - three emails disappeared before I had a chance to read any of them and seemingly without trace.  First time this has happened to me a well over a decade with BT.

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 8 of 242

With IMAP, I set to synchronise across systems, I didn't think with IMAP you could over-ride delete across systems. I thought that "don't delete on server" was only a POP feature.

I have Outlook clients on PCs, iPhone standard email client and of course the web interface.

I thought that it may be an errant Outlook problem (rules etc, although I haven't set any rules up), but noticed it happen again early this morning when my laptop wasn't switched on.

I have reported by phone to BT who said they don't have a record of this problem on their intranet and have escalated to their "offline team" who will get back to me within 72 hours.

This is all so disconcerting as I have no idea what important emails I may have missed.

0 Ratings
RafalNap
Beginner
Message 9 of 242

Re: incoming emails open and then just disappear

Same case. Mails received yesterday just disappeared from inbox after one opening. Minimum 4 emails 'lost' in 10 mins.

0 Ratings
AnthonyL66
Message 10 of 242

Just got the 4 emails alerting me to the latest posts on this and watched all 4 disappear within 3 mins of being in my inbox! Well done for contacting BT, let's hope they can sort quickly. Like you this is the first problem I've experienced in the 15+ years of using my btinternet email.

0 Ratings