cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HowardH
Contributor
Message 31 of 242

Re: Emails disappearing from inbox

As far as I can tell, this problem of emails spontaneously and uncontrollably disappearing from the inbox only affects IMAP.  It is possible to use POP to access the emails without losing any emails as far as I can see. In my POP accounts I choose to leave the emails on the server so I can use web mail (say once or twice a week) to sort those emails I wish to keep into folders and I can choose from within my POP account to send any emails via IMAP, so I have copies on the server.  This works for me and I may, in fact, use this permanently, as IMAP has in my experience been more problematic than POP.

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 32 of 242

I thought it might be helpful to explain how I went about making the changes I have described, as I struggled to see how I could change my default email account and stop Outlook connecting to my IMAP account when it started up and so inadvertently allowing the defective BTYahoo IMAP service to delete all my inbox emails. I finally worked out all I needed to do was mark the IMAP accounts (I have two) inactive in the send/receive groups while marking the POP account I now wanted to make my default account as active.  This ensured Outlook now used the POP account as the default while retaining the IMAP accounts, but  these IMAP accounts would only be activated by me manually, not automatically.  Sorry if I have bored people with this, but hopefully it may be of some small help to others who are experiencing this quite dreadful mess with IMAP on BTYahoo.

0 Ratings
Catkinface
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 242

Howard thank you so much for this suggestion. Its very helpful. 

Before doing this, I was going to try to forward my emails to another new account (not BT or yahoo) ....did you consider doing this? If so, why did you decide not to?

0 Ratings
SteveB58
Beginner
Message 34 of 242

I'm having the same problem as everybody else in this string. Two observations however:

- Not all email addresses even within the same BT account are affected: mine is but my wife's isn't;

- If you also use an iOS mail client (iPhone, iPad etc.), receiving an email on that device, viewing it and waiting a minute or so seems to permanently retain the email in your Outlook inbox if you subsequently go back there to view it.

Would be interesting to know if everybody experiencing this problem is using dual Outlook and iOS devices as email clients.

0 Ratings
bfcs
Beginner
Message 35 of 242

I run a computer repair business, I've had lots of my customers calling me over the last couple of days telling me their BT email isn't working correctly, emails are disappearing from their inbox after they open it in Outlook. Exactly the same problem as described here.  Initially I thought it was a problem with their machines especially as the BT status page shows no issues, however after more customers called in with the same issue it became obvious this is a BT problem.

Why have BT not updated their service page?  I have been telling customers to call into BT and report the problem, sometimes the helpdesk acknowledge there is an issue and say they are working on it and other times they tell the clients it's their own problem.  This seems to be a major problem that BT are taking a long time to acknowledge and fix.

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 36 of 242

@ Catkinface

No, I didn't consider setting up a new account to which I could forward emails. I was underwhelmed by those posters in this thread who pointed out the verification problems they were experiencing when trying to set up another account to forward emails. Second, it seemed from what I have read in this thread, this mail forwarding solution was not exactly successful or faultless.  Third, my solution using an already established POP account actually works, at least it does for me. 

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 37 of 242

I should have written using an already established BT POP account

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 38 of 242

@ SteveB58 

I had been exclusively using Outlook to access BTYahoo IMAP on my desktop computers (2) - no mobile phones or any other devices.

I think it is noteworthy that the initial post in this thread flagged the problem in the afternoon of the 22nd; I didn't experience the same problem until the morning of the 23rd.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 242

@bfcswrote:

I run a computer repair business, I've had lots of my customers calling me over the last couple of days telling me their BT email isn't working correctly, emails are disappearing from their inbox after they open it in Outlook. Exactly the same problem as described here.  Initially I thought it was a problem with their machines especially as the BT status page shows no issues, however after more customers called in with the same issue it became obvious this is a BT problem.

Why have BT not updated their service page?  I have been telling customers to call into BT and report the problem, sometimes the helpdesk acknowledge there is an issue and say they are working on it and other times they tell the clients it's their own problem.  This seems to be a major problem that BT are taking a long time to acknowledge and fix.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This issue has been reported sporadically over the years, but that was only a few cases. This time many are reporting the same problem indicating a wider fault. I can't recall if those cases were using Outlook as a client.

However because it hasn't seemed to affects "lots", and maybe the helpdesk have not realised it's a potential system issue - for some reason they don't see it as a major problem. The helpdesk are useless as they don't seem to acknowledge when a lot of similar reports that there is an issue.

The reports in this thread all have Outlook as a common client, which many may have - but it's a non free package, so potentially most other people use free ones like Thunderbird or Claws Mail.

If anyone uses something other than Outlook and is seeing this same problem, perhaps they could drop in to say.

Not that this implies Outlook is the issue, but perhaps some form of sync fault between Outlook and BT servers causing deletion (assuing the emails are not going into the Trash folder).

0 Ratings
bfcs
Beginner
Message 40 of 242

It is a BT problem for customers using Outlook and the BT IMAP server.  I have not had my customers report the same problem when using other email clients/programs or mobile devices.  The problem does not happen to customers that have POP configured.

This is a BT problem not an Outlook software problem as I have customers with other IMAP email addresses setup in same Outlook profile that do have emails disappearing, it is only happening with BT accounts.

It also does not effect every BT customer setup with IMAP in Outlook as I have had members of the same household say some BT MAP accounts are working on one machine while other IMAP accounts have the problem on a different machine.

0 Ratings