cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Peace
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Emails disappearing in front of ones eyes!

Hi guys, I shall try and make this as brief as possible. Please excuse me if I get the terminology wrong. 

Last week my wife was informed her email was changing  from BT Yahoo to BT Mail. Previously everything worked fine. Having made all the necessary changes to her iPad, iPhone and Mail on the iMac (IMAP, SMTP, ports etc. setup as suggested) there appears to be a serious problem with mail delivery to the iMac. Emails are disappearing.

1/ Mail is delivered to her BT Mail account on the web correctly.

2/ If you take the iMac Mail account offline then emails are delivered to the client iPad and iPhone Inbox's correctly.

3/If you now take the iMac Mail account online and there are emails waiting, you get the message that emails are downloading but most of the time (not always) they don't appear in the Inbox on the iMac. In fact they have totally disappeared with the knock-on effect that they now disappear in front of your eyes from the iPad and iPhone Inbox's and the from the Inbox on the web - never to be seen again. As I said a proportion of emails do make it to the iMac inbox but I can't see a pattern.

I have tried deleting the account and re-installing, rebuilding ( not sure if that did anything) but feel there might be an indexing problem in how the emails are being stored. When I deleted one of the few emails  that made it to the iMac Inbox, the deleted email was correctly put in the Bin but another email in the Inbox just disappeared. Again this meant the email disappeared from the iPad, iPhone and web.

Any thoughts guys? It would be much appreciated

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Emails disappearing in front of ones eyes!

Have you configured the account as POP3 on all the devices rather than IMAP?

They should be IMAP if you want everything to synchronise.

0 Ratings
Andrew_Peace
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks liquorice for the quick reply.

All the devices are configured as IMAP (iPhone,iPad and iMac). They seem to be perfectly synchronised - as soon as the downloading email doesn't arrive in the iMac Inbox all records of the email are deleted from the other devices and web.

Thanks.

Just to confirm the iMac is running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and Mail 13.4

Obviously I don't usually have the iMac Mail set offline. As emails were disappearing I was just working through a series of combinations to try and work out what was going on. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

That's really weird but appears to be a problem with the iMac. Have you tried a different mail application on the iMac?

0 Ratings
Andrew_Peace
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Licquorice.

I have installed Spark this afternoon which appears to be running fine. I also have a btinternet email account (currently BT Yahoo unlike my wife's BT Mail) which is running fine using Apple Mail. 

For a number of reasons I would like to continue to running Apple Mail, so I guess I'm slightly concerned what's going to happen when my account changes from BT Yahoo to BT Mail!

Do we know what's happening when Apple Mail says it is downloading the file from the web and it never arrives in the Inbox ?

Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Andrew_Peace
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Latest update.

Following my thoughts on what was going wrong, I have re-indexed the Apple Mail account. Fingers crossed 2 days later emails seems to be working ok. I will wait another couple of days before confirming this is the solution to the problem. Thanks

0 Ratings
Andrew_Peace
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Disappointingly the problem has not been resolved!

I sent 2 emails to my wife's email account this morning. They arrived on the web server ok but Apple Mail said they were downloading onto the iMac but they never arrived. Subsequently they were automatically deleted from the BT Mail web server.

It's a bit of a nightmare!

0 Ratings