cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sue409
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Emails from inbox disappeared prior to 09 August 2019

I use my bt email on both a mobile phone, iPad and laptop, most commonly the iPad. Yesterday evening, when checking the iPad, there was no mail in my inbox prior to 19:30 that day. I have checked via a web browser too, and my inbox is totally empty, except for the new messages.

I have other email accounts (non bt) which I similarly use on both the iPad and desktop, and these are still showing older emails. 

i thankfully can still see the prior messages on my desktop on the email account which is set up using POP3, but having lost everything on the mobile devices is a pain, as use these for my business. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Emails from inbox disappeared prior to 09 August 2019

If you have configured POP3 on your desktop without ticking the box to keep a copy of the message on the server, it will download the messages to your desktop and delete them on the server making them unavailable to other devices. If you want to keep all your devices in sync, you would be better configuring the desktop as IMAP.

Sue409
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the reply - I’ve had my mail configured as POP3 for many years, and have enabled  the box to ‘keep messages on server’ so I  am see them on other devices. This has been working fine since 2012.

I actually don’t want to keep all the devices in Sync for business and personal reasons. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

@Sue409wrote:

Thanks for the reply - I’ve had my mail configured as POP3 for many years, and have enabled  the box to ‘keep messages on server’ so I  am see them on other devices. This has been working fine since 2012.

I actually don’t want to keep all the devices in Sync for business and personal reasons. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

A similar report has been posted a few times over the years, and sometimes they just "appear" after a day or two.

What happens when you login to webmail via a browser? When you do that, can you say if the account is BTYahoo or BTMail? For the former, you will see a Yahoo image near top left of webmail.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 19

At a guess the device on which you last saw the emails that have dissapeared is not setup to retain messages on the server. Can you remember when you last saw them and on what device

0 Ratings
Sue409
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

I saw the emails on both my iPad and iPhone yesterday 9th August around 19:00. I’ve had it set up like this for years with no problem.  Other mailboxes on my iPad and iPhone are fine, and I can still see them

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 19

So going by your first post, you should check the server settings on one of those two to make sure they are set to retain messages on the server

0 Ratings
Sue409
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

When I log in via a web browser,  I have no messages in my inbox prior to 21:00 on 09 August.  I have a BT yahoo in the top left hand corner.  The email address is a btinternet email address, which has been in use since 2003. 

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

It sounds like the last device you used before 21:00 yesterday removed the messages from the server

0 Ratings
Sue409
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Thank you - I’ve checked in the iPhone and iPad mail set up, and even using the advanced option cannot see that there is an option about deleting messages from the server.

However, even when using the web browser on either device, I am not seeing emails prior to 09 August

0 Ratings